Tacfoto

Re: Do the ECO Modes really extend the range?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:26 pm

"Flooring the pedal overrides the eco mode so why would that be more economical than driving more conservatively?" I don't think it would be and certainly never said that. I did that to see if the range estimate could be convinced Comfort was a better mode than ECO PRO+ and it can. But why?

To be fair, drive the same route as close to the same speeds as possible. I did/do repeatedly and mentioned that above. It seems to make no difference.

"Using EcoPro learned habits, I now do 15.5 on average at Comfort mode." This is sort of my point. The car is changing your programming, not the car's. And if your habits were good before, the change would be zero. It's a feel good button. I had a '75 Diesel Rabbit in college and used to drive 250 miles to see my girlfriend at her college. I drove slow and didn't use the A/C, coasted to a stop at red lights and stop signs. I just did not have extra $ for extra fuel.

cancad

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:59 am

I coded my rex and locked the EcoPro mode at car starts. Drove for a couple months and have been used to it. Yesterday I tried the Comfort mode and found the output was so much stronger that I could hardly control my foot. I would say that one person may be able to mock the computer to get a good control of the car, and drives more efficiently than some other people. But for a single person, EcoPro mode should definitely help get more MPG than Comfort. In other words, if you do well at Comfort mode, you should do better at EcoPro.

sweetwagon

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:09 pm

I read somewhere the cornering lights are disabled in eco pro plus mode. How much does that save? Probably not much but I don't think you can manually control it.
2018 BMW i3s Mineral Gray / eMotorWerks Juicebox 30

prettig

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 am

yes it does, tested both several times. I alway drive eco pro (more relaxed), comfort if i need to go really fast.
Eco pro+ when it is warm or Eco pro, almost no difference. Cold (freezing) bigger difference (heater+seats).
Now 30 degrees celcius and airco......10km less range in Eco Pro vs plus, not much.

They really do what they are designed for.

jadnashuanh

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Maybe another way to look at the Eco modes is that, while you might approach the efficiency they tend to force on you, they are packaged already for you and you don't have to think about things like 'oh, I have to turn off the a/c, and I have to be really careful about not accelerating too fast', etc. Plus, the computer watches things 100% of the time, while a human would never be able to approach that. Can the computer make mistakes? Certainly, but in general, it will do a much better job at maintaining efficiency than a person would. At one point, BMW claimed each successively greater Eco mode produced about a 20% efficiency gain.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”