Preserving Paint in the sun

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacfoto

Any recommendations on the best wax or other products for preserving my paint? I have a Protonic Blue 2017, and my office provides free level 2 charging, but in a space exposed to the sun. I hate to admit this, but that paint sold me on the car. That and the no ding body panels. I HAAAAAAAAATE car dings.

Car covers are great! Unless the car is outside. They will blow off, and rub your paint until they do. After they've been on the ground do you put them back on? With all that dirt?

Not all covers are created equal. But, I do agree that if it's really windy, it may not be the best choice for that day. I do use BMW's i3 cover during the summer, but it only covers the windshield and the front half of the car up to the front windows. It does make a huge difference in how hot the interior gets, and helps to protect the interior from UV. Have had it now for nearly 4-years and have not noticed any degradation on the pain for those areas it does cover.

There are a lot of good paint sealants which are the best option for UV protection.

Picking one depends on how you maintain your car's exterior. I apply sealant twice a year and use a product called Finish Kare 425 weekly to maintain a slick slippery paint surface. With method the car washes clean with a quick water spray and dry.

https://www.autogeek.net/was.html is a great source for car care products.

If you only want a sealant that's super easy to use, try Meguiar's G18309 Ultimate Fast Finish Spray. It works best if you apply it every couple months. But it just sprays on and wipes off.

Forget car covers, just adds friction unless car is spotless.

The blue paint is beautiful. Smart money is on ceramic sealants these days. Car needs to be degreased, any surface imperfections removed and applied in right temperature, panel at a time.

I use Collinite 426S, but this is in the Scotland, where temperatures are a bit more forgiving.

Back