Mick787

Retention of charging period times

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:08 am

Here in the UK, since having a Rolec 7.2kw home charge unit installed, we seem to be having an issue with the car retaining the time period we want it to charge. During the Economy 7 rate. Checking the time period on her mobile phone app, for some reason the times had changed from what had previously been set. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a software issue? Would things re-set now we have changed from the domestic cable that comes with the car?

Mick787

Re: Retention of charging period times

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:58 pm

As a refresher to my original post, yes, this is still happening. For some reason the car is deciding when it will take charge, irrespective of the charge time period we have set on it after being plugged into a charging unit which will easily charge it to full well within the time periods we have chosen. Any ideas please?

alohart

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:16 pm

The low-cost charging algorithm hasn't been explained well by BMW and has been buggy in several i3 system software versions. It sounds like the lack of retention of the low-cost time period is likely due to software bugs. It might be worth trying to get your BMW dealer to update your i3's system software if the dealer would do that at no cost. I gave up on our i3's low-cost charging feature and instead use the settable start and end charging time feature of our charging station.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

jbrinsfi

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:37 am

This feature works fairly reliably on my 2014 BEV. What I have found is:

1. You must set a departure time
2. If the time to charge to near 100% (not sure what the actual target SoC is) exceeds the time available in the Low Cost Charging period, the charge cycle begins immediately ignoring the Low Cost Charging restrictions.
Jim
2014 BEV and loving it

EVMan

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:23 am

Mick787 wrote:Here in the UK, since having a Rolec 7.2kw home charge unit installed, we seem to be having an issue with the car retaining the time period we want it to charge. During the Economy 7 rate. Checking the time period on her mobile phone app, for some reason the times had changed from what had previously been set. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a software issue? Would things re-set now we have changed from the domestic cable that comes with the car?

Perhaps you can explain in more detail.
What do you mean by - ' Checking the time period on her mobile phone app, for some reason the times had changed from what had previously been set. '

BMW can change the setting from the server, to optimize the electric grid , if in case you are part of any such program. Are you ?
They are doing this in US , for the people who enroll in these programs.
2016 22KWH Rex ( Lease to Return ) ~ Model 3 Dual Motor, Long Range ( Wait-listed )
2017 33KWH Rex
Solar ToU Plan

Mick787

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am

My wife is using the BMW i-drive app' on her mobile phone. Yes, she sets a time she wants to leave and use the car in that app'. The departure time and the off peak times she sets are always the same. When I say 'sets' it is because the last time it was set has changed!
The off peak time tariff seems to be changing on its own accord to whatever it sees fit and when she arrives home and plugs in it will start outside of those times, i.e. straight away. The home charge unit is 7.2kw and should deliver a charge easily in the off peak period. The car is hardly ever below 50% charged when it is plugged in, so it should only take a couple of hours to get to full because we have set the charge rate in the car to 'max'.

EVMan

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:59 am

In USA, this program , to optimize charge time period, is called BMW charge forward program.
They change the time from their system
If you car is new , then you should know , if you are participating in it.
2016 22KWH Rex ( Lease to Return ) ~ Model 3 Dual Motor, Long Range ( Wait-listed )
2017 33KWH Rex
Solar ToU Plan

alohart

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 pm

EVMan wrote:In USA, this program , to optimize charge time period, is called BMW charge forward program.
They change the time from their system

According to the BMW Charge Forward Website, this program is available only in the San Francisco Bay Area for PG&E customers. Maybe there's a similar program in the U.K. where the OP lives. However, I doubt that the OP would be unaware that he is a participant.

It sounds to me like the OP is referring to problems with the buggy low-cost charging feature that's included in all i3's. He is not the only i3 owner who has complained about the low-cost time period settings not being retained by an i3 or charging always starting immediately even though low-cost charging has been configured correctly.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Mick787

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi Alohart, thank you, it seems as though what you say is correct. Do I assume correctly that BMW won't react to such reports? I know that when we have rung BMW for other things I have received a reply that the call handler doesn't know much about such things. Its as though our call has been answered by a call handler in a call centre using drop downs on a computer program rather than by BMW staff who know something. I think we will take it in to a dealership as it's under the warranty.

alohart

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Mick787 wrote:Do I assume correctly that BMW won't react to such reports?

I think your problem is due to buggy system software, but maybe using iRemote, or whatever the BMW i3 smartphone app is called in the U.K., is part of the problem. If you set the low-cost charging period and departure time using iDrive in your i3, do the low-cost start and end times remain as set and does low-cost charging work as expected? If not, buggy system software is likely to blame. If so, iRemote and/or BMW's servers that link iRemote to your i3 might be to blame.

If iRemote and/or BMW's servers are to blame, there's not much you can do but complain until BMW fixes the problem.

If your i3's system software seems to be the cause of the problem, determine the system software version. If it is an older version, maybe the problem is fixed in the current version which you could ask your dealer to install under warranty to fix the low-cost charging problem.

Unfortunately, the system software version isn't displayed in iDrive. You'd need to back up your driver profiles to a USB drive using iDrive (handy to do before taking an i3 to a dealer in case a software update is performed that could erase driver profiles). Then open the driver profile text file in a text editor on your computer. The value of the <i-step> tag in this text file is the system software version. The entry in the backup file for our i3 is:

<i-step>I001-16-07-506</i-step>

The initial 4 characters signify an i3. "16-07" is the system software version date, July, 2016, in our case. The final 3 digits are some sort of subversion number that might be different for REx vs. BEV, maybe differs depending on market (e.g., U.S. vs. U.K.), or maybe is just a minor version number within the July, 2016, version.
Aloha,
Art

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”