bwilson4web
Forum Supporter
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Benchmark

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Image
  • $26.97 - EV electric cost, 143 mi
    • $11.50 - Electrify America, 15.515 kWh, 32 min.
    • $14.70 - EVgo, 14.93 kWh, 42 min.
    • $0.77 - home, 7.74 kWh, 98 min. (1h 38m)
  • $6.26 - Costco, 2.302 gal (premium), 5 min., 111 mi
    • ~5 mi EV, to top off gas in Nashville (left home 3/4 tank)
    • ~2 mi EV, ran out of gas approaching Costco
  • Caught in Nashville rush hour . . . saved a bunch of electrons
    • dynamic cruise control + power mode (Comfort) is a winner
    • stay alert but calm with music and A/C
  • Google miles do not including trying to find Nashville EVgo charger and sensible route changes.
Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

i3Houston
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Benchmark

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:20 am

Here in Texas it will be significantly cheaper to drive an ICE!
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

jadnashuanh
Posts: 4154
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:07 pm
Location: Nashua, NH USA

Re: Benchmark

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:23 pm

i3Houston wrote:Here in Texas it will be significantly cheaper to drive an ICE!

Not if you can charge at home...if you have the time (like if you're going to a movie or out to eat or shopping), a L2 EVSE is generally a lot cheaper than a CCS unit, and more of them are free.

If you're using your i3 REx as a long-distance vehicle, and those trips aren't frequent, it may be cheaper than maintaining a second ICE for those trips. Personally, with today's infrastructure, I wouldn't take a REx on a long trip unless it was my only choice, but that's me. I can go 500-miles in my ICE without stopping unless I want to for some reason...using the REx, you don't have any choice.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

bwilson4web
Forum Supporter
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Benchmark

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:19 am

Image
  • $18.80 - EV cost
    • $4.40 - (est) Blink, 7.626 kWh, 1 h 25 min
    • $13.65 - EVgo, 16.35 kWh, 39 min
    • $0.75 - home, 7.487 kWh, 1h 37 min
  • $6.15 - Costco, 2.252 gal (premium) 5 min, 106 miles
    • ~6 mi EV, to visit Tesla Store, top off tank, late lunch
  • Shelbyville Blink charger broken and no maintenance contract. Continued to very nice Nissan dealer for a free charge. Estimated the cost, $4.40, for 1h 25m (85 min) at a working Blink charger.
FACEBOOK POSTING

I repeated my EV drive to Nashville and return on gas to visit the Tesla Store in Brentwood a southern suburb. A shorter distance, the L2 (208-240 VAC) Blink charger in Shelbyville TN was down so my fallback was the Nissan dealer five miles down the road.

Open business hours, Nissan let me charge the car while in their customer lounge. In 85 minutes the 24A charger gave just enough, 7.626 kWh, to reach the fast DC charger at Brentwood WMCA with a 10 mile reserve. There it took 39 minutes, 16.35 kWh at a cost of $13.65 including pre-cooling the cabin. Enough to reach the Tesla Store.

The Tesla Store lot was full of Teslas with a small staff of 6-8 training new owners on their car. This attention to quality reduces future problems but means turnover, completing sales, takes longer. So I asked, 'If I wanted one, would I have to order it over the web?'

The Tesla rep said, 'We could get you one of our standard configurations in about four weeks." Those are committed cars in the lot, undelivered inventory. Tesla chose quality over quantity so they are slow to move out. Next door, the Lexus dealer had four salesmen sitting in lawn chairs waiting for customers.

The gas drive back burned $6.25, 2.252 gal of premium, with a 1 mile reserve. So $18.80 EV and ~5 hrs outbound versus $6.15 gas ~2 hrs to return.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

jadnashuanh
Posts: 4154
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:07 pm
Location: Nashua, NH USA

Re: Benchmark

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:05 pm

FWIW, while the statistic takes awhile to be updated, so today's vehicles may differ, Tesla has had the highest warranty repair costs by a factor of over 400% of any car brand out there. SO much for quality...last report I saw indicated the average warranty cost on a Tesla was over $8K compared to a few hundred for some of the best.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

i3Houston
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Benchmark

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:26 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:
i3Houston wrote:Here in Texas it will be significantly cheaper to drive an ICE!

Not if you can charge at home...if you have the time (like if you're going to a movie or out to eat or shopping), a L2 EVSE is generally a lot cheaper than a CCS unit, and more of them are free.

If you're using your i3 REx as a long-distance vehicle, and those trips aren't frequent, it may be cheaper than maintaining a second ICE for those trips. Personally, with today's infrastructure, I wouldn't take a REx on a long trip unless it was my only choice, but that's me. I can go 500-miles in my ICE without stopping unless I want to for some reason...using the REx, you don't have any choice.


I was specifically talking about charging rates at EVgo, it would probably cost less to rent a ICE car to drive 300-400 miles. :)

Now power is so inexpensive in Texas, I have 100% renewable plan at about ~11cents per kw. Non-renewable is even cheaper! I was planning to install solar panels but given the low energy rate, ROI can take over 10 years or more.

i3 does not offer the storage space for road trips and kinda uncomfortable at freeway speeds in TX. Still like wifes' v6 SUV.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

i3Houston
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Benchmark

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:33 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:FWIW, while the statistic takes awhile to be updated, so today's vehicles may differ, Tesla has had the highest warranty repair costs by a factor of over 400% of any car brand out there. SO much for quality...last report I saw indicated the average warranty cost on a Tesla was over $8K compared to a few hundred for some of the best.



Something is strange about tesla Model S owners. I am yet to see one car that does not look like to have just come out of a Car wash! I think they make warranty claim on every door ding or rock chip so that might have lead to higher repair rate.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

bwilson4web
Forum Supporter
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Benchmark

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:41 pm

i3Houston wrote:
jadnashuanh wrote:I was specifically talking about charging rates at EVgo, it would probably cost less to rent a ICE car to drive 300-400 miles. :)

I just checked Enterprise for Houston and they list a 4-seat, Economy at $36.73(*) where "*" means "*Rates, taxes, and fees do not reflect rates, taxes and fees applicable to non-included coverages, extras added later or to coverages required if the customer fails to provide acceptable proof of current liability coverages."

Would you like to revise your earlier comment?
i3Houston wrote:
jadnashuanh wrote:Now power is so inexpensive in Texas, I have 100% renewable plan at about ~11cents per kw. Non-renewable is even cheaper! I was planning to install solar panels but given the low energy rate, ROI can take over 10 years or more.

Poor baby! I live in the TVA area and only pay $0.10/kWh and that is consistent across N. Alabama and E. Tennessee. You are getting raped by Texas.
i3Houston wrote:i3 does not offer the storage space for road trips and kinda uncomfortable at freeway speeds in TX. Still like wifes' v6 SUV.

That says more about the crappy roads of Texas. My wife and I took a trip from Huntsville AL, Northern Mississippi, SW Tennessee, Arkansas, and Eastern Oklahoma and the roads and rides were wonderful! No complaints from wife or her two dogs. Really, you have a problem with inferior Texas roads.

As a native Oklahoman, I admire your honesty about Texas. As many Oklahomans say, "Why does the wind always blow towards Texas?"

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

i3Houston
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Benchmark

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 pm

bwilson4web wrote:
i3Houston wrote:
jadnashuanh wrote:I was specifically talking about charging rates at EVgo, it would probably cost less to rent a ICE car to drive 300-400 miles. :)

I just checked Enterprise for Houston and they list a 4-seat, Economy at $36.73(*) where "*" means "*Rates, taxes, and fees do not reflect rates, taxes and fees applicable to non-included coverages, extras added later or to coverages required if the customer fails to provide acceptable proof of current liability coverages."

Would you like to revise your earlier comment?
i3Houston wrote:Poor baby! I live in the TVA area and only pay $0.10/kWh and that is consistent across N. Alabama and E. Tennessee. You are getting raped by Texas.

That says more about the crappy roads of Texas. My wife and I took a trip from Huntsville AL, Northern Mississippi, SW Tennessee, Arkansas, and Eastern Oklahoma and the roads and rides were wonderful! No complaints from wife or her two dogs. Really, you have a problem with inferior Texas roads.

As a native Oklahoman, I admire your honesty about Texas. As many Oklahomans say, "Why does the wind always blow towards Texas?"

Bob Wilson


It would not be needed-

1) $36 for a day is still cheaper than charging i3 at EVgo. I have never paid $36 for a economy rental though, corporate rates are much lower.
1.1) You have not considered cost associated with 'wait-time' at EVgo.

2) Difference between your rate $.10/KWh and $.11 is ONE cent. Your choice of words makes one wonder if you read that correctly! Just curious if you included delivery and other charges etc.

Texas roads are as good as they should be. Its the speed limit thats not EV friendly, freeway I take to Austin has speed limit of 85mph, imagine pulling that off in an i3. I am sure you had a great trip, do you really think it was because roads in Oklahoma were better!! :!:

Texas is #1 state to produce most energy from Solar and Wind!!
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

bwilson4web
Forum Supporter
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:59 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Benchmark

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Sorry, sometimes my sense of mirth doesn't come through.

The last time I was in Texas was to drive a 2003 Prius from Fort Worth back to Huntsville. Back then some stretches of I-20 needed help.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”