sunilarjun

Cannot do fast charging as keeps saying “car needs to be turned off”

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am

It seems my battery ran out and the gas engine turned on. When I and to do fast DC ( Level 3) charging, I keep getting “Error: Car must be turned off”.
The car IS turned off. I can do Level 1 charging without a problem but every time I plug the Levwl 3 charger I get the same message and the charging is stopped.

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

MKH

Re: Cannot do fast charging as keeps saying “car needs to be turned off”

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Is it at an EvGO charge station???

Some people have reported similar at EvGO's - something to do with a very heavy cable pulling down the connection when first plugged into the car, to the point it is not firmly/fully connected properly. A fix is:

1. Support the cable when connecting for a minute or so, while it negotiates with the car - once charging, you can let go.

2. If #1 doesn't work, check with your dealer on replacing the charge port locking mechanism, as it may not be fully seating the fast-charge plug.

3. If #1 and #2 don't work, your not alone - EvGo's apparently have issues - and the flaw is with the EvGO not the i3. Some users report trying 4 and 5 times, unplugging/plugging, unplugging, starting car/stopping car, re-plugging, re-swiping card 4 or 5 times, with about a 50% success rate.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”