Pre 2018 option packages $20k>

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

747lexus

Hi excuse me for asking, but am very curious and interested in getting an i3. Probably in the $20k or under range.
I noticed the nav screen has two different sizes.
What is all included in the “tech package” and “parking assist package”? Which package/option would be worth having and looking for?

My preference would be to have those packages and with white exterior (range extended version) and possibly a sunroof if possible (seems like 2017 and up ones?)

Any chance to pick this combo up for around $20k or under?

Thanks so much for any advice and guidance !

Any chance to pick this combo up for around $20k or under?

For a loaded 2018, depending on where you are, you are looking at sub $30K, not sub $20K.

You 'might' be able to find a 2017 around the $20K mark in a private sale.

Any dealer sales for a loaded i3, to stay in the under $20K range, you are looking at a 2016.

Check on cargurus.com for a good cross-section of i3 prices.

You didn't specify what interior package you prefer, wheel options, sunroof, CPO, etc. Also, mileage? That's a big factor in pricing.

You have to start by pricing out all the options you must have. There are a handful of good pricing guides. Use them all. Develop a good idea of the wholesale value of your desired car.

When you're researching your car, check how long it's been listed. If i3s with your options are moving fast, you don't have much room to bargain.

Lastly, check in with a few dealers. Be honest. Tell them what you're looking for, and what you're willing to pay. It turns out some of my local dealerships are sending their i3 lease returns straight to an internal BMW auction because they're not as profitable as other models. If the dealer knows they have an easy sale, they may be on the lookout out for you.

In my case, I found the loaded BEV I wanted, test drove it, and told the salesman what I was willing to pay, which was a couple thousand under bluebook. They are a "no haggle" dealership and basically said "take it or leave it." I left it. But the salesman called back, another salesman called back, their manager called back, they began dropping their advertised "no haggle" price, and after about three weeks of this they called me to come pick up the car.

I can tell you this: optioned-out BEV models seem to sit on the lot a long time, at least in my area. In retrospect, I probably could have squeezed anther $1k out of it!

Wow thank you guys for your detailed replies this forum is awesome 😎

Okay so wheels wise I don’t care I think the one that is not blacked out just plain that looks like a saucer dish? Lol not sure the different wheel names but to me that one is fine and looks to fit the car.

Is white the most common color? Which is the most sought after color or rare?

Interior i like the light one with the brown highlights and the light wood dash (not sure what model that is)

Would love the sunroof if possible. Do you guys find that is a very good option to hold out for?
Also the tech package and driving assist? Not sure what all that encompasses. But same are those very good to have? Does that help you parallel park in its own?

Ok just test drove a 2017 i3 fully loaded w the tech pack Rex moonroof leather etc!!
It’s listed for $22k with around 45k miles
What do you guys think? It’s a gold silverish color. Not bad actually, white was the best preference. But this was at a local bmw dealer also so it has a warranty till 2021 nov which is nice. Would you guys say it’s a good deal? The color I could probably take this even white is first preference.
I could probably source a white one w the same specs as this but might have to go out of state and then the warranty wouldn’t be as good as if I were to buy the car here at the local dealer right?

Thanks for your guys help and opinions! Btw I used to drive and own a 700whp Supra turbo. And this thing has some nice acceleration down low!! Put a smile on my face that’s for sure!! 🥰😆

747lexus said:
Interior i like the light one with the brown highlights and the light wood dash (not sure what model that is)

Would love the sunroof if possible. Do you guys find that is a very good option to hold out for?

Also the tech package and driving assist? Not sure what all that encompasses. But same are those very good to have? Does that help you parallel park in its own?

I could probably source a white one w the same specs as this but might have to go out of state and then the warranty wouldn’t be as good as if I were to buy the car here at the local dealer right?

A couple of comments and answers:

I believe the interior you're referring to is the "Carum Spice" (I call it tweed) and is part of the Gigaworld package. The light wood is the eucalyptus trim.

I like the sunroof in the temperate SF Bay Area. The shades are mesh, so the sun can't be completely blocked out unless you come up with your own shade. But I like the sense of openness it gives my dark interior.

In the US, the Technology Package's biggest benefit is the larger screen. You'll appreciate that every day you drive. I get a modest amount of value from the adaptive cruise control, but it's camera based, not radar, so it has some shortcomings. Little perks are it reads speed limit signs and displays those on the display, and you'll get a track pad that you can trace out letters on to spell out a destination or search term, instead of twisting a dial around the alphabet. The collision avoidance might save my bacon some day, but for now it's triggered falsely a handful of times -- thankfully I haven't been rear-ended because of it!

The warranty, if it's offered by BMW, is good anywhere.

Ok the one bad thing I think I just noticed about this 2017 Rex I just drove, is:

I think it is 72 miles electric range. Is that right? It’s fully loaded with tech package and parking assist with moon roof. 45k miles

$22k

Did the 2017 come with 2 electric range (even w the Rex?). Some says 97 miles and others say 72 miles.

Is the battery lighter on the shorter range? Would it make it a decent amount quicker?

So the 2016 and below has a max electric range of 80 miles max? Plus gas of course. So does that mean it’s a lighter /quicker driving car than the 2017 and up?

Just wondering if I should get a 2014-2016 then with fully loaded version (did they come with tech packs and parking assists too?). Longer range of course would be nice but the moonroof although it’s nice, I don’t know if I would really gripe about it if I didn’t have it.

You can do a zip-code search for used i3's for sale with BMW CPO warranty coverage, at Dealers within 500 miles of you here:

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified-used-inventory?zipCode=75081

747lexus said:
... I just noticed about this 2017 Rex I just drove, is:

I think it is 72 miles electric range. Is that right?

There are supposedly 2017 models with the older, smaller 60Ah / 22kWh battery, but I never came across one.

Where did you get this info that makes you think it's the smaller battery?

Plug the last 7 digits of the VIN into m decoder.com. About 4 rows down, where it says "Type," you should see "i3 94" if it is equipped with the 94Ah battery. If it has the 60Ah battery, it'll probably just say "i3."

The 94Ah range or anywhere from 100 to 135 indicated on a full charge, depending on how you drive and factors such as temperature and elevation gain.

If the estimated range displayed looked low, it's probably because everyone test-drives with a lead foot

Yeah the website said 72 mile range w Rex. And when I looked on the gauge it had like half the bars and said 38 more miles or so range

Does the smaller battery make the car pull faster since it’s lighter? Or not really?

The non gas vs. Rex is the big difference? 0-60 for both times are like 7 sec for battery and 8 sec for Rex (small and big battery)?

You have to decide what your priorities are. If your highest priority is having the quickest version of the i3, then go for an early, non-REX i3. But you'll have to live with a 60-70 mile battery range (and subtract about 25% from that in cold weather). If range is your priority, then get a later model i3 with the 94 ah battery and the REX.

Everybody has different needs/wants, but for me, I'd go with the REX and the biggest battery in my price range. While the i3 is a snappy car, and fun to drive, I bought mine for its EV capability, not for it's speed. Mine is a 2014 with REX and I love it, but I would dearly love to have one with both the REX and the 94 ah battery. If my 0-60 drops from 7 seconds to 8, that's not a big deal for me. But again, different strokes for different folks. Figure out what your priorities are and then make your purchase.

Again, I'd recommend checking the VIN in mdecoder to learn what battery it was built with.

Sounds like the range you're referring you is quoting REX range, separate from battery.

Thanks! Yeah that sounds right.... I would say if I can get 70 miles electric and Rex that’s good.

I was just curious, is the older i3 quicker than the 2017 and up? When you compare equals- non Rex and Non Rex and Rex and Rex

747lexus said:
I was just curious, is the older i3 quicker than the 2017 and up? When you compare equals- non Rex and Non Rex and Rex and Rex
A lighter battery pack partially explains why the 60 Ah models are the quickest:

60 Ah: ~233 kg (~514 lb)
94 Ah: ~256 kg (~564 lb)
120 Ah: ~273 kg (~602 lb)

In addition, at least for U.S. models, 2014 models had fewer standard options compared with later models, so a base 2014 model is the lightest i3 sold in the U.S. With the same motor power and system software version (i.e., integration level), it would have been the quickest.

Thanks so much again guys! So good to see that this forum is still decently active and with cool and informative members!

Okay so I check up the m decoder.com and it says it is a 94a battery. So I guess it is the bigger battery size of the 2017? The gauge or bar graph must have been reading low then because the bar graph looked half full and it only showed 38 electric mile range left till empty. Maybe the bar graph is not directly related to miles vs. visual size of the bars?

Anyway that’s good to know. I’m more inclined and interested in that car now.. it’s a platinum silver and the color is growing interest on me, since it seems like it’s one of the more rare colors (white being the most common)?

You can take a peek at the car's estimate of its battery capacity by following along with this video, describing the "hidden menu."

https://youtu.be/tw5i1Ki-RpY

But like I was saying, nobody test drives an i3 with a delicate touch, so what you're seeing is normal. On the dealer's lot, the 2017 showed 80 miles estimated range with a full charge.

Once I got it home and I'm the one driving it, I routinely see 134 miles estimated range on a full charge.

Thank you again! Ok so it will vary And alter depending on recent Driving behaviors.. that’s weird the bmw dealer has it listed with a 72 mile limit but maybe they don’t know?
I’m sure I can ask them to look it up double check.

But what do you think
2017 platinum silver w Tera package
Driving, tech and parking assist (still don’t know what it all does but I take it this one has all the optional upgrades?
Stereo upgrade
Moonroof
20” rims
But has 45k miles
Warranty till nov 2021

For $22k

Is it a decent deal or kind of a too high? Wonder if they will do $20k? But it says “no haggle low price” on these certified cars

Looking at what's offered on sites like Carvana - it seems an average deal. Not great, but not out of line for the options and mileage, considering it has the BMW extended warranty. If they won't deal on price, ask for extras. If the tires aren't new, ask for new tires, BMW i3 frunk storage bag, folding cargo cover. If you are planning on installing 220v charging in your garage, ask for a BMW Wallbox charger.

The only thing I might question is the 20" wheels. While I love the look of my 20's, I absolutely hate that I only have one tire choice and it's a summer compound tire. Very poor traction in cold weather and wears out very quickly. With the 19's you have all season availability. Much better cold weather performance and much longer tire life.

"The only thing I might question is the 20" wheels"

I second that! I had the 20" and they are rough riding, and prone to pothole damage. Ditched mine for 19" after bending the inside of all four rims, and putting pinch-blisters in the sidewalls of two tires. The low sidewall summer/sports tires just will not stand up to potholes and rough roads. The 19" all season tires have an inch more sidewall, and makes all the difference. Found a set of 19" 427 'pizza slice' wheels on Craigs List for $300, and sold my 20" wheels for scrap.

Back