Charging i3 on a Tesla 150kW

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek2

I’ve had great success charging on Tesla chargers 50kW. What happens if I use a supercharger above 50+ kW, say 100kW etc

Derek2 said:
I’ve had great success charging on Tesla chargers 50kW. What happens if I use a supercharger above 50+ kW, say 100kW etc
Tesla has never allowed other EV's to use their Superchargers. The electronic handshake required by a Supercharger isn't compatible with any other EV. Tesla has suggested that this might change eventually.

Tesla destination EVSE's can be used to charge other EV's unless the EVSE has been set to require Tesla's handshake. However, these aren't 50 kW EVSE's. Their maximum power is similar to other AC EVSE's, maybe 7.2 kW or so.

If you were to charge your i3 with a high-power DC fast charger whose maximum charging power is greater than 50 kW (some support 350 kW charging), nothing unusual would happen other than owners of other EV's that can be charged at greater than 50 kW might be unhappy that you are occupying a charger that's more powerful that your i3 needs. Your i3 limits the maximum charging power to 50 kW regardless of the maximum charging power of a DC fast charger.

Art, I believe the destination chargers offer 11kw or so... of course our i3s are limited to 7.7kw on level 2.

I successfully charged on a Tesla charger at 50kW twice this weekend - NOTE I am in UK United Kingdom. I have no idea about other countries.

In Europe, Tesla has used the CCS plug (after the early Model S and Xs) so their chargers should should plug right into the i3.

There have been reports of them opening the Supercharging network to other brands and at 50kW I assume you're talking about a supercharger.
https://electrek.co/2021/06/24/tesl...ercharger-network-other-automakers-next-year/

Did you have to pay for the electricity somehow? AFAIK the payment protocol for Superchargers wouldn't be supported on an i3, so it'd be kindof funny if Model 3s have to pay for fuel at the station but off-brand vehicles don't. I'm sure eventually Tesla will "fix that glitch" but at £0.28/kWh I can't imagine it's their highest priority right now.

They claim they'll be opening up USA superchargers to other brands as well, which will be interesting to see how that happens since the plugs are different.

There was a bug that allowed non Tesla cars charge on super chargers for free (in Europe obviously). I thought they fixed it but apparently some locations still have this issue. Regardless using a higher power charger is not an issue, the car charger dictates how much power it can accept.

Back