Skyking6976

Tesla Allowing CCS Charging at Superchargers!

I did a quick search and didn’t see any comments about Musk announcing all US Superchargers will be available to non-Tesla vehicles by the end of this year. Is that because y’all think it’s BS and not worth starting a thread or what?
alohart

Re: Tesla Allowing CCS Charging at Superchargers!

I don't doubt that Superchargers will become available for all EV's. However, either an (expensive) adapter would be required for North American EV owners, or Tesla would need to install CCS-1 plugs on all its North American Superchargers.

Because no other EV uses Supercharger protocols that allow Tesla to bill EV owners, Tesla would need to do something to collect Supercharging fees.

I would not want to plug our 50 kW max i3 into a Supercharger whose maximum charging power is much greater when faster charging EV's are waiting to charge.

Because of existing charging plug compatibility, I won't be surprised when European Superchargers become available by the end of 2021. In fact, a U.K. i3 owner has already reported success in charging his i3 using a Supercharger. Some feel that being able to do this now is a bug because Tesla was not able to assess a charging fee.

I won't be surprised if North American Superchargers won't allow all EV's to charge by the end of 2021 due to charging plug incompatibility.
Aloha,
Art

2019 BMW i3 Imperial Blue Metallic, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Heat Pump, 428 Wheels
[FOR SALE] 2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging
JuiceBox EVSE
Skyking6976

Elon Musk has said it will happen by the end of 2021. I’ve read the verbiage from the infrastructure bill and in order to get some of the cash, chargers have to be usable by all EV’s. It’s almost as if the wording is aimed directly at Tesla’s Superchargers. I’ve read there will probably be CCS adapters at the Superchargers. I would think it’s unlikely Tesla will retrofit their cars and Superchargers with CCS but maybe the cost is minimal. I know in Europe Tesla cars have CCS connectors.

Man…would that be a huge boost to EV’s and Tesla could get a huge chunk of that 7.5B with very little effort. No need for ground up installations.
3pete

Skyking6976 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:45 am Elon Musk has said it will happen by the end of 2021.
Elon Musk has said a lot of things. I'll believe it when I see it.

Skyking6976 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:45 am I’ve read the verbiage from the infrastructure bill and in order to get some of the cash, chargers have to be usable by all EV’s.
Snark aside, I was genuinely curious about this. For some reason I was under the impression the chargers had to be usable by "more than one" brand of vehicles. It made one wonder if Tesla would be able to play the loophole game by helping some small player like Aptera https://www.aptera.us/vehicle/ bring their car to market with a Tesla plug to technically meet the requirement. I sure hope they add CCS plugs to the chargers or have a reliable adapter available.
amyst

3pete wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:14 pm
Skyking6976 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:45 am Elon Musk has said it will happen by the end of 2021.
Elon Musk has said a lot of things. I'll believe it when I see it.

Skyking6976 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:45 am I’ve read the verbiage from the infrastructure bill and in order to get some of the cash, chargers have to be usable by all EV’s.
Snark aside, I was genuinely curious about this. For some reason I was under the impression the chargers had to be usable by "more than one" brand of vehicles. It made one wonder if Tesla would be able to play the loophole game by helping some small player like Aptera https://www.aptera.us/vehicle/ bring their car to market with a Tesla plug to technically meet the requirement. I sure hope they add CCS plugs to the chargers or have a reliable adapter available.
Aren't those the adapters https://evadept.com/best-tesla-to-j1772-adapter/? Or did i get it wrong. I was sure that they exist for some time already and was really surprised to see it as "news". Now everything makes more sense to me. Thanks for clarifying.
Last edited by amyst on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
3pete

amyst wrote: Aren't those the adapters https://evadept.com/best-tesla-to-J1772-adapter/? Or did i get it wrong
From that link (emphasis added):
With this adapter, users of electric cars with a J1772 plug can use Tesla charging stations anywhere (except Supercharger), including home chargers.
So, those will work at the Level 2 Tesla connectors. I'm not sure what it would take to make one work with Superchargers, but the fact that no one makes one to go the other way yet (CCS to Tesla) suggests that it's difficult or expensive to do. The Chademo to Tesla adapter costs around $400 so it's clearly not just a matter of connecting the right pins with appropriate gauge wires.
Obioban

Ideally tesla would sell an adapter you'd keep, that would link to a telsa account, for billing. Plug adapter into car, plug tesla cable into adapter, charging starts and bills to your tesla account, like with a tesla car.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”