Unlocking with the key

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunter

Curiousity got the better of me and I tried to use the key to unlock the door but no dice, I can't remove the small rear plastic cover which hides the key slot. Anyone had any luck?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Bill

Manual says :-

BMW i3 Owner's Handbook said:
Press the button on the back of the remote control and pull out the key.

Can't get the picture to come up here.

It's pretty standard BMW but might be quite stiff or hard to get out the first time.

Gonville said:
Manual says :-

Press the button on the back of the remote control and pull out the key.

Can't get the picture to come up here.

It's pretty standard BMW but might be quite stiff or hard to get out the first time.

Oh I can get the key out of the remote, it's what to do next that is the issue.

Bill

• 1. Remove the integrated key from the key fob
    2. Remove cover on the door lock
    To do that, push the integrated key from underneath into the opening, and unlock the cover
    3. Lock or unlock the door

Gonville said:
  • 1. Remove the integrated key from the key fob
    2. Remove cover on the door lock
    To do that, push the integrated key from underneath into the opening, and unlock the cover
    3. Lock or unlock the door

And I can also read the manual :) but step 2 is not playing ball. As I said I can't remove the plastic cover which hides the key slot.

Bill

Should just pop the cover off. When it says underneath you need to get right under to see it. My last F10 that only existed on passenger side. Check that too.

Gonville said:
Should just pop the cover off. When it says underneath you need to get right under to see it. My last F10 that only existed on passenger side. Check that too.

I can see it and get the key in the hole but nothing happens. The hole is on both driver and passenger side handles.

Bill

Today I needed to use the physical key in my i3's door handle. I found the iDrive Owner's Manual ambiguous about how to pop off the plastic cap that covers the lock cylinder.

This six-year old thread was one of the top search hits but sadly, no one gave Bunter a proper answer to their question.

A 45-second video from BMWHK shows how to remove the cap from an X1 but the concept is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9O_F67e3Y

To access the lock cylinder, extract the physical key from the key fob, insert it into the access hole at the bottom of the cap, and pry the bottom of the cap away from the vehicle.

With moderate force the cap will pop right off.

Back