BMW i Remote app issues

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

znino

I got my i3 Rex today and my i remote app for iphone was downloaded and connected no problem to the car (the dealer had configured my email and password beforehand). I am, however, experiencing some frustration with the app. If anyone has played with it, some hints would be very helpful. My main problem is that the app does NOT seem to update the information in any timely or useful manner. All other apps I use to connect to my Tesla cars for example either have a set refresh rate of a few seconds or you can manually ask for a refresh of the most current info.

In i remote, I see Last update at the top with a time but the time is grossly old at this point.... and i have seen it go a couple of hours before showing new information. This is really not useful if you want to see the current state of charge or the current location of the car. As a matter of fact, even though the car is in motion, I just happened to see it say ¨UDATING DATA' but then it returned the same location information and the same Last Update time of about an hour ago.

does anyone know how this is meant to work and if there is a way to refresh the information so that the Last Update time changes to the current time?

znino said:
I got my i3 Rex today and my i remote app for iphone was downloaded and connected no problem to the car (the dealer had configured my email and password beforehand). I am, however, experiencing some frustration with the app. If anyone has played with it, some hints would be very helpful. My main problem is that the app does NOT seem to update the information in any timely or useful manner. All other apps I use to connect to my Tesla cars for example either have a set refresh rate of a few seconds or you can manually ask for a refresh of the most current info.

In i remote, I see Last update at the top with a time but the time is grossly old at this point.... and i have seen it go a couple of hours before showing new information. This is really not useful if you want to see the current state of charge or the current location of the car. As a matter of fact, even though the car is in motion, I just happened to see it say ¨UDATING DATA' but then it returned the same location information and the same Last Update time of about an hour ago.

does anyone know how this is meant to work and if there is a way to refresh the information so that the Last Update time changes to the current time?

There are quite a few threads about the iRemote app in this forum.

The app data refresh when the car is turned off (not when in motion). After that, you can only get a current state if, and only if, the car is plugged. In other words, when you leave the car unplugged, you can only get data about its state when you last turned it off. When you leave your car plugged, you can receive live data about its charging process.

This is in theory though ... BMW servers have gone through some difficulties lately. Not all the cars are affected in the same way.

Something that hadn't occurred to me before - does that mean that if the car is stolen, the app won't tell me where it is, at least not until the thief charges it. Sounds like a good reason to keep the basic charger/lead in the car!

On the ICE remote app it only gives you the position if you are within some relatively short distance away. I think it is 20k. I've seen this mentioned as a privacy protection? I guess assuming the other driver is allowed to not have their location reported. Something like that. When I go on holiday and it is left with airport valet I can't see where they have taken it until I get back to airport. Odd.

I have seen reports of people finding the car when it is dumped 2 streets away. Many complaints.

RJSATLBA said:
Something that hadn't occurred to me before - does that mean that if the car is stolen, the app won't tell me where it is, at least not until the thief charges it. Sounds like a good reason to keep the basic charger/lead in the car!

No, not quite so. Location does work even when car is unplugged. The app will give the car's location as soon as it is turned off, plugged or unplugged.

Some time back, we started a sort of wiki for the iRemote, here : https://docs.google.com/a/garzon.me/document/d/19UNRVt-8ubISZBT9xK9pnxKArmuwSCWyYU57OWdVBjo/edit

Feel free to add or correct any info you find worthwhile.

agj said:
znino said:
The app data refresh when the car is turned off (not when in motion). After that, you can only get a current state if, and only if, the car is plugged.

That really kind of sucks that you cannot see real time location information except when the car gets turned off. Every other car monitoring app I have had or seen can do this. You should be able to also remotely see the range in real time as the car is moving. I can't really see the rationale for not providing this information.

Furthermore, it would seem that you CAN remotely LOCK the car with the app but you CANNOT remotely UNLOCK the car with the app. Again, I find this silly. What if you want to open your car for someone to take something out remotely.

Also, yesterday I accidentally left the key on the front seat, got out of the car and walked away. Then, thinking I might have not locked the car, I used the remote app to lock it. When I got back to the car and it wouldn't unlock I realized I had the key inside and now the car was locked! There was no way to unlock it from the app so I had to go fetch my second key to unlock it. Very strange that such an intelligent car would allow locking with a fob inside the car and one HUGE reason to be able to unlock the car from the app. (You can also, by the way, leave a fob in the car, lock the door with the other fob and walk away and the car will lock the first fob in the car.

amateurish said:
I can unlock using the app. Maybe the UK version is different?

Maybe I missed it somewhere? Can you post a screenshot of your app where this option is located? Or describe it? Are you using an iOS version of the app?

znino said:
amateurish said:
Vehicle information - remote control

This is android.
I guess maybe it's not available on the iphone app. Anyone have the iphone app and seen how to unlock the car with it?

This is the screen shot for the iPhone (sorry, it's in French, but I guess this is not a problem for you out there in La Belle Province). This function should be available on your iPhone too. Did you enable the remote services in your ConnectedDrive portal (or equivalent in the Americas)?

commandeadistance.jpg

At least yours work. I can't even log in to my iRemote. It's been 3 days and BMW Assist can't get it going. They keep telling me someone will call me back but of course no one does.

znino said:

agj said:
znino said:
amateurish said:
Vehicle information - remote control

This is android.
I guess maybe it's not available on the iphone app. Anyone have the iphone app and seen how to unlock the car with it?

This is the screen shot for the iPhone (sorry, it's in French, but I guess this is not a problem for you out there in La Belle Province). This function should be available on your iPhone too. Did you enable the remote services in your ConnectedDrive portal (or equivalent in the Americas)?

commandeadistance.jpg

I have the same screen except the open vehicle box is missing. Maybe the Canadian app is different. And yes the remote services are working otherwise.

A guy from BMW Canada just messaged me that in Canada it is NOT possible to unlock from the app. Great! better be careful locking from the app in case the fob is still in the car. Who thinks of designing it in such a nonsensical way???

USA iPhone app is identical, unlock vehicle button has been removed. Must be some idiot legal concern. My OnStar app (for my Volt) lets me unlock the car.

-Brent

Back