Noise for Pedestrians

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricvirgin

I am a little concerned about my i3 (due end august) being too quiet for people to hear and the potential for an accident.

At the same time i dont like the idea of the car making a constant noise at low speeds.

I wondered if it was viable to record an MP3 and have it play on a loop when selected via one of the 8 dash shortcut buttons?

Something along the lines of the 'vehicle reversing' speech you hear when large vehicles are maneuvering.

Any thoughts?

I have to say, I've had a LOT of issues with people not hearing me and walking right in front of the car as I'm moving.

It happens pulling out from parallel parking more than anything else, but also bicyclists that dart into the middle of the street as I'm approaching.

I always hear Leafs and Volts. Is the i3 really that much more quiet?

electricvirgin said:
I am a little concerned about my i3 (due end august) being too quiet for people to hear and the potential for an accident.

At the same time i dont like the idea of the car making a constant noise at low speeds.

I wondered if it was viable to record an MP3 and have it play on a loop when selected via one of the 8 dash shortcut buttons?

Something along the lines of the 'vehicle reversing' speech you hear when large vehicles are maneuvering.

Any thoughts?

Wind down the window and shout... "oy"... or... "brrrm"...

Just kidding... Actually I dont think the i3 is any quieter than a gas luxury saloon, no-one could hear my ye-oldy jag at low speed and I didn't run anyone over...

I guess just be aware that people are tuned to listening for gas engines, and just need a lil tweek to listen for EVs...

Turn up the music and keep alert. I have not run over any more pedestrians in my i3 than in my ICE cars!(Total count zero in 37 years of driving). And just get a camera fitted to protect yourself from the majority of bicyclists who appear not to have read or understood rules 59-82 of the Highway Code when inevitably they crash into you.

My pedestrian count is also zero. There's usually tyre noise from bits of gravel on the round so they tend to be aware that a car is behind them. Danger areas are car parks or on grass. And horses cos you can't toot them, although horse riders seem to pay full attention to what's around them. People do have to take responsibility for their own safety, ultimately.

I have suggested to BMW that the Archers theme tune would be the best noise, haven't had a reply yet. :D

When rolling >20 mph there is enough tyre noise to alert pedestrians when in quiet surroundings. In towns the background noise is probably too high to hear the tyre noise so the driver needs to be extra vigilant about people stepping off kerbs. In car parks where speeds are lower and people are "switched off" because they feel isolated from fast moving vehicles the driver must be extra extra vigilant. Horses are just a pain, but in general they are in quieter areas and will hear tyre noise because they generally don't ride with earphones.

Which is the bottom line really, people isolate themselves from their surroundings by listening to music, so it really doesn't matter what noise the car makes, there is always scope for someone to not pay attention. The onus is on you to pay attention and to notice situations which could be dangerous. Making extra noise isn't the answer.

I'm a biker and I hate the "loud pipes save lives mantra", when the mantra should be advanced training, practicing machine control, doing first bike on the scene first aid training etc etc... saves lives, but it's not as catchy and doesn't justify a overly loud exhaust system...

Bill

Back