Can I Add Sirius-XM Radio Aftermarket?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zzzoom3

Ordering the "Mega" World trim, I see that although it does not come with Sirius-XM radio the vehicle specs indicate it is "pre-wired". I assume that is like the old CD Changers that were pre-wired and you could add the changer afterwards?

The CA mentioned there is a Sirius-XM smartphone app that would let you play via Bluetooth. Does anyone know if any of this is possible?

Thanks, Lou

Looking at other BMW forums it seems likely that the hardware is in place. It appears the SiriusXM tuners are built-in at the factory starting with the 2010 model year. Your system just has to be coded. But if you already have a subscription, the app should work either over Bluetooth or USB.

That said, unless you want the exclusive content I am not sure I'd bother. The i3 is my first vehicle with satellite radio. I have it only because I wanted the Giga interior; dealer enabled the 12 month trial during the delivery orientation. I've barely used it because the sound quality is atrocious. There are numerous threads on audiophile sites about the compression levels required to cram all those channels into the limited bandwidth for satellite radio. Music sounds much worse than either Bluetooth streaming off my iPhone or iTunes Plus-quality AAC files stored on the internal HD. The compression even makes news readers sound tinny. The difference between SiriusXM and the local stations that broadcast in HD is night and day. Even internet radio streamed off iTunes or through BMW apps sounds better.

I do have the Harmon Kardon package so maybe the higher quality speakers make the compromised sound more noticeable. I don't know; I'm not enough of an audiophile to dig into the how and why. Needless to say, I have no intention of paying SiriusXM once my trial concludes. I strongly encourage you to try other options before you spend additional money for SiriusXM.

I have the Mega World as well and had SiriusXM installed afterward. All i3's are preinstalled with the proper hardware and you just have to pay a couple hundred dollars for them to install software to activate it.

Regarding the comment about if SiriusXM is worth it... I really enjoy it and install it on all my new cars. I haven't noticed issues in sound quality personally.

stumbledotcom said:
Looking at other BMW forums it seems likely that the hardware is in place. It appears the SiriusXM tuners are built-in at the factory starting with the 2010 model year. Your system just has to be coded. But if you already have a subscription, the app should work either over Bluetooth or USB.

There are numerous threads on audiophile sites about the compression levels required to cram all those channels into the limited bandwidth for satellite radio. Music sounds much worse than either Bluetooth streaming off my iPhone or iTunes Plus-quality AAC files stored on the internal HD. The compression even makes news readers sound tinny. The difference between SiriusXM and the local stations that broadcast in HD is night and day. Even internet radio streamed off iTunes or through BMW apps sounds better.

I like it for the news channels primarily. I do not pay for music. It costs about $10 monthly and reception is good wherever (except where there are lots of tall buildings!)

Bigbiscuits said:
I have the Mega World as well and had SiriusXM installed afterward. All i3's are preinstalled with the proper hardware and you just have to pay a couple hundred dollars for them to install software to activate it.
Oh that's good to hear. Any idea what the BMW part # might be our what you tell the parts dept you need? If you wouldn't mind looking on your invoice it would be appreciated :p

It's not only tall buildings, but any underpass, and tall tree coverage that affect the coverage. The audio kept getting interrupted as I was driving along some rural, tree-covered roads yesterday. I do not know how big a buffer it has, but it cuts out under even some very short underpasses as well. Given that it's not a long-distance vehicle, and I generally can get decent radio coverage, I'll probably not continue once the free period expires. Now, on an ICE, where you may be traveling long distances, I think it may be a viable option...no hunting to continue to listen to your favorite program as you pass through various radio station coverage areas.

Back