alohart

Re: Serious problem with new BMW ConnectedDrive Website (USA)

Sat May 11, 2019 11:37 am

fireball08 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:17 am
Yup, did the same thing as Alohart - unchecked the box. Suddenly car is gone from the app. No features on the portal through computer. Not sure whether to wait or unregister, then re-add the car.
I suggest deleting and re-registering your car on the Website. This worked for me although 2 attempts to have a security code sent to our car were required.
fireball08 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:17 am
I can't understand why they would release a new interface, leave one checkbox and not expect people to explore this????
Very poor interface design! BMW has not demonstrated much software development expertise.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

vreihen

Sat May 11, 2019 2:49 pm

symonray wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:37 am
Do you now have access to the remote cockpit functions for your vehicle on the Connected Drive website?
The web site seems to be nothing more than a sales pitch for renewing services. No status from the car, no remote controls, and not even a way to find where I parked it. Since my account on ConnectedDrive is only a few days old, I have no idea what the web portal used to look like before today's lame page.

My guess is that BMW has decided to embrace the post-PC era (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-PC_era) with their new portal, and focus on mobile apps and not the web.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

robthebold

Sat May 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Long-time listener, first-time caller here.

I had pretty much the same problem as Art. I saw the new version of the connected drive website, noticed the lack of car status, and clicked the green checkmark. What could go wrong, it's green and it's a checkmark? I did not expect that that was the connected drive self-destruct button. (After all, I need to confirm just logging out of the website.)

So my i3 gets removed from connected drive, no in-car services and no remote status info either. I called BMW customer service this past Wednesday to be told for 36 hours that their system was down and to call back later. When I finally called in with system working on their end ,I got a sympathetic and helpful rep who, despite those attributes, couldn't solve my problem at the time. She did, however, escalate my problem to IT and issue my a trouble ticket number and -- fast-forward to today -- my car shows up again on the connected drive website with my subscribed services. Yay! Still no car status on the website anymore, but I think other functionality now restored.

So if anyone else has clicked a friendly-looking checkmark and instead activated self-destruct sequence, I'd call customer service. They seem to be able to ultimately resolve the problem. I would definitely say that the website violates generally accepted best-practices of user interface design of allowing non-reversible catastrophic inputs! Not even a tooltip saying "Don't press this button!"

I also noticed that user gt1 had problems with his/her automated system from late March thru mid-April. I suspect that s/he was probably using Home Assistant or OpenHAB. BMW USA server had either intentionally or accidentally blocked oauth access from these systems for that period. I had the same issue. This problem has resolved itself, but problems that go away by themselves can also come back on their own . . .

So as far as accessing the car from a desktop computer, what can be done?

Well, there's a project on github https://github.com/m1n3rva/bimmer_connected that might be helpful. It does require some command-line-fu and comfort with python. There's documentation on github to get you started with installation and use. With the demo program, you can type (from appropriate directory): "bimmerconnected status <username> <password> <region>" where region is north_america, china, rest_of_world. This will spew a stream of info about all your connecteddrive vehicles. The program has help to get other command arguments for data and to send commands to the car.

I've also written a very rudimentary text-mode interactive interface to the bimmerconnected library. I'm not sure what's the easiest way to share that here . . . if it's just pasting it into a post, I'll be happy to.

alohart

Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 am

robthebold wrote:
I've also written a very rudimentary text-mode interactive interface to the bimmerconnected library. I'm not sure what's the easiest way to share that here . . . if it's just pasting it into a post, I'll be happy to.
I would be interested in using your CLI on or porting it to macOS. Pasting it into a post might be the easiest way to share your work. Thanks!
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

fireball08

Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Suddenly my i3 reappeared. Thanks Alohart. Clearly a server-side issue.

If they want people to pay for a service, IMHO they should support it.

gps1539

Mon May 13, 2019 11:31 am

I just called their helpdesk and they told me that the web site will no longer show the charging and expected completion times for the i3. Also you can no longer send a street address to the car for navigation from the web site. The web site seems to have no purpose other than advertising BMW services that you can't use from everything but a phone.

gt1

Tue May 21, 2019 5:27 pm

robthebold wrote:
I also noticed that user gt1 had problems with his/her automated system from late March thru mid-April. I suspect that s/he was probably using Home Assistant or OpenHAB. BMW USA server had either intentionally or accidentally blocked oauth access from these systems for that period. I had the same issue. This problem has resolved itself, but problems that go away by themselves can also come back on their own . . .
Are you able to pull the Bat. Kapa. Max. value from the US server? I use openHAB and still not getting it.

robthebold

Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 pm

gt1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:27 pm
Are you able to pull the Bat. Kapa. Max. value from the US server? I use openHAB and still not getting it.
No, I don't find it in the raw JSON data pulled off the server . . . :(

gt1

Wed May 22, 2019 11:30 am

Yes, same here. I asked in case I missed something. It is very disappointing, Kappa Max was the monst useful parameter for monitoring the battery data. After all the effort to get it running, I only got about month worth of data.

i3Houston

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Remote precondition is failing for last 4 days. Tried deleting and adding the car again but no luck.

It's 100f hot... Bmw sucks
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”