New personal record on the Guess-O-Meter

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharonPDX

g1vmwj47bcw21.jpg

Took a 90 mile road trip to a convention over the weekend in my 2015 with the 60Ah/22kWh battery, had to use battery+gas (gas was about six months old anyway, so figured it was time to use it up and refill.). Arrived Friday, plugged in at hotel (120V via Occasional Use Charger at outdoor outlet they let me use,) let it sit while I went to first day of convention. (Convention was only a couple blocks from the hotel.)

Came back, car hadn't been charging, apparently some wiring fault with the outdoor outlet (OUC had "wiring fault" light lit.) Hrm. There is a level 2 charging station about a mile from the hotel, so drove over there Saturday morning, walked to convention. At lunch, got a ride over, battery was full, stopped at gas station to fill up gas tank, drove to convention site. Later went to drive to dinner, saw this when I started up. By far the longest battery range I've seen, definitely longest combined distance. (I've seen 100 on the gas meter side once, when battery was about 1/3 full and I'd been driving a long way on 35-45 MPH back-country roads, so combined total was lower.)

The weather was perfect the whole trip, so I had it in ECO PRO+ the whole time.

Now if only there had been a back-roads way to get home! (It's either 90 miles on the interstate, or 150 miles on a 45-55 MPH state highway that goes over a mountain range, so that way DEFINITELY won't be more efficient.) And no, this trip wasn't 1559.3 miles, I just haven't reset the trip odo in a while. :p

That is really impressive !
On eco pro the most I have seen on mine is 74mi on gas, and 91mi on battery. I think it was averaging close 5mi KWH.
What was your average KWH that day ?

Nice. These days, I'm averaging 58 miles on my 2014 BEV. Then again, I'm blasting the AC, often with the windows open, and with zero concern about efficiency. My daily commute is less than 5 miles round-trip, and my solar panels charge the car for "free," so I don't much care. It's a perfect car for city dwellers.

How many panels does it require to charge your car? I am guessing for most of us the car is not home during the day to take advantage of the panels.

Jazzcat1953 said:
How many panels does it require to charge your car? I am guessing for most of us the car is not home during the day to take advantage of the panels.

I have a 7.5 kW system, which is enough for almost all of my needs.

Back