60Ah BEV range displayed on the driver display?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elbow

I’m thinking of buying a 2016 BEV - 27000 kms on the odometer. The battery capacity is 17.7kwh according to the service menu - cf the 18.8 guaranteed value when new.

I’m not sure if that 17.7 figure is OK - about 5% down on the new figure.

But what scared me is that the salesman sent this picture of the drivers display - on the image the battery shows full at the left and by the bars something like 90% - but the shown range is only 70km:

Photo%202019-05-09%2C%2021%2042%2057.jpg

I understood range to be 130km and with 5% off I’d expect to see 123km. If the battery is at 90% then it should be 110km shown.

How does this displayed range work - is it just weird because the car is stationary (aircon on too), or is this car an avoid?

I must say I think I’d be more comfortable with the 94Ah model - but there are currently none for sale here in South Africa and in any cases our prices are so high due to the 25% import duty on electric cars and our poor exchange rate.

Are you referring to the guess-o-meter (GoM)? It tries to predict range based on recent driving patterns, and the previous owner doing some "spirited" driving or salespeople powering up the car to show the instruments will surely kill the predicted range. Take it for an eco-drive, and see if the predictions improve.....

Back