Fuel cost Reimbursement for unexpected service?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M2140

like most on this forum, i have been very unlucky with my BMW i3 Rex and it has been in for service 2 times now. The car is currently on it's 2nd visit and starting it's 3rd week at the dealer waiting to get fixed. Like all BMW dealers in the US, I have gotten a loaner car both times usually a 428i. But none of the dealers have i3 loaner cars so we are stuck now paying for fuel.

Running my BMW i3 about 1000 miles a month cost me about $50 in additional electricity costs. Running a BMW loaner 428i for 2 weeks plus the fact that I got it on empty has cost me $150 in fuel so far and counting since my car is still in the shop. i'm expecting about $300 before i get my car back if I get it back at the end of next week.

Ive asked the dealer if they will be partially reimbursing us at least part of the fuel cost and they could not answer and referred me to BMW NA. So I called them and asked and they also could not respond and created a case and escalated to a manager. Seems odd to me that no one has asked before but it makes sense to me that BMW i3 owners would get some kind of reimbursement for fuel costs to a loader vehicle when the i3 is in for service.

This is something that might start coming up in the future. I cant help thinking that there has always been the potential for a differential between the car going in for repair and the loaner, its just with EV's it will be a much bigger one! I hope it is sorted out soon for you.

Although there have been problems with i3's i am not sure how widespread they are, anecdotal evidence via this (and other) forums does not necessarily equate to a lot of cars with issues in the real world. Obviously its a new type of vehicle for both consumers and BMW so there will be issues for us early adopters.

I completely agree with your position. The warranty probably makes no mention of it. I suggest you lay out your case in a letter to the CEO of BMW NA with a cc to the CEO of BMW GmbH. Send the letter FedEx so you have proof of delivery. They will be compelled to respond and you'll get an official reply rather than the usual run around from people who can't or won't make a policy decision.

If the number of cases is limited, it costs them little, if the number of cases is larger, they have a problem they need to address. Post similar threads on all the i3 forums (Bimmerfest, etc). How hard is it to have an i3 loaner?

Boatguy said:
How hard is it to have an i3 loaner?
Not hard. I'm driving one right now.

Benefit is to the dealer. Not only do they save huge in fuel costs, they get to put to productive use a model that is piling up in inventory, as well as introduce the vehicle to non i3 BMW owners.

I suppose they prefer to send their i3 loaners out to i3 owners, as they are more likely to drive pure electric and return with significant charge remaining (after charging at home), ready to loan out again.

Boatguy said:
I completely agree with your position. The warranty probably makes no mention of it. I suggest you lay out your case in a letter to the CEO of BMW NA with a cc to the CEO of BMW GmbH. Send the letter FedEx so you have proof of delivery. They will be compelled to respond and you'll get an official reply rather than the usual run around from people who can't or won't make a policy decision.

If the number of cases is limited, it costs them little, if the number of cases is larger, they have a problem they need to address. Post similar threads on all the i3 forums (Bimmerfest, etc). How hard is it to have an i3 loaner?

My BEV was in the workshop for 7 weeks and I managed to get all my replacement ice fuel paid in full...

ultraturtle said:
Boatguy said:
How hard is it to have an i3 loaner?
I suppose they prefer to send their i3 loaners out to i3 owners, as they are more likely to drive pure electric and return with significant charge remaining (after charging at home), ready to loan out again.
Pretty tough to give an i3 loaner to an ICE customer with no way to charge it. Probably a few are game, but mostly not a good fit.

My BEV was in the workshop for 7 weeks and I managed to get all my replacement ice fuel paid in full...[/quote]

What was your car in for that it took 7 weeks for repair? Mine has been in 2 and I'm getting close to fed up. I cannot imaging waiting 7 weeks to get my car back.

M2140 said:
My BEV was in the workshop for 7 weeks and I managed to get all my replacement ice fuel paid in full...

What was your car in for that it took 7 weeks for repair? Mine has been in 2 and I'm getting close to fed up. I cannot imaging waiting 7 weeks to get my car back.[/quote]

Two weeks for a new KLE, which lasted 1 charge, then four weeks for the second KLE plus one week testing, cleaning and delivering back.

Back