Question on coolant, TPMS

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srivenkat

Hi All,

For those that use a separate winter wheel set, is the i3 capable of storing 8 TPMS (Summer/AS + Winter) or do they need to be reset everytime the wheels are swapped?

Also, does the i3 have coolant for any inverters and such and if so is there a change interval.

How about any transmission oil for the "singe gear" transmission?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the i3 will store all the TPMS sensors, however there is an initialization procedure that can be started from the iDrive menu.

3.3.6. Initializing the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
The TPMS is initialized via the iDrive menu.
The tire pressures must be initialized if:
• The tire pressures have been changed
• A tire change has been carried out
• The tire pressure sensor has been changed.

http://bmwtech.info/BMW%20I3/04%20I01%20Chassis%20and%20Suspension.pdf

I looked up the fluid specs and they have changed over the years
The 2 front coolant systems
The heater circuit coolant is not mixable with any other, only "i3 coolant" BMW part 83512355296, blue, silica free, previously green.
Electric machine = BMW G48, blue, nitrite & amine free, mixable or replaceable with: Castrol Radiocool NF or BMW 82192 211 913 or 194 or HT12
REX coolant in rear = same as E.M. as above.
REX W20 engine oil = 5W30 SJ spec eg. Castrol EDGE A3B4 change interval 10,000 mi / 24 month or by E-schedule warning - depends on car option code
REX oil filter = 517504-10 (Mahle OG306)
I've not seen anything on the transmission oil

Thanks for the info. Changing transmission oil seems like a pretty complex process which makes me wonder if it's lifetime. Is the coolant lifetime as well?

Srivenkat said:
Changing transmission oil seems like a pretty complex process which makes me wonder if it's lifetime. Is the coolant lifetime as well?
From the Owner's Manual:

"Sensors and special algorithms take into account the driving conditions of your vehicle. Based on this, Condition Based Service recognizes the maintenance requirements.

The system makes it possible to adapt the amount of maintenance corresponding to your user profile.

Detailed information on service requirements can be displayed on the Control Display."

With no synchronizers in the transmission to wear and no extreme heat being transferred from a hot ICE to the transmission oil, the transmission oil should last a long time. i3 drivers who drive a lot might eventually see a "change transmission oil" message displayed on the Control Display.

Unlike ICE coolant that is exposed to high heat and potentially to combustion products, the climate control and drive coolants should last a long time. The REx engine has a third cooling system whose coolant might need more often replacement, probably depending on how much the REx engine is used. A Control Display message will probably be displayed when any of these coolants need to be changed.

In our BEV that isn't driven much, I expect to never change the transmission oil and coolants.

You need to do a TPMS reset each time you swap or move tires around on the vehicle. Once you start the process, a bar graph will display as you drive giving you an indication of how far that reset process has progressed. Depending on how you're driving (it can't do anything while you're stopped), that could take a couple of minutes or maybe as much as 10 or so.

The menu is under (I think) vehicle status, and is easy to implement.

MagicCarpet said:
I looked up the fluid specs and they have changed over the years
The 2 front coolant systems
The heater circuit coolant is not mixable with any other, only "i3 coolant" BMW part 83512355296, blue, silica free, previously green.
Electric machine = BMW G48, blue, nitrite & amine free, mixable or replaceable with: Castrol Radiocool NF or BMW 82192 211 913 or 194 or HT12
REX coolant in rear = same as E.M. as above.
REX W20 engine oil = 5W30 SJ spec eg. Castrol EDGE A3B4 change interval 10,000 mi / 24 month or by E-schedule warning - depends on car option code
REX oil filter = 517504-10 (Mahle OG306)
I've not seen anything on the transmission oil

you are a hero, by the way how did you "look up" this information, is their a website that we don't know about?

The i3 fluids specs I found in some of the generic info pages of NewTisinfo on the service manual question thread
https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5444#p45243

What I mean is when searching these pages they cover a lot of models and years so it takes time to work out the correct answer for an i3

NewTis.info has a lot of procedures like replacing axles engine bolts and fuel tank sensors
And those technical training manuals are worth printing out and keeping in a folder

I wish there was a secret page about getting my nav to work (maps country needs changing) as like the above I dont get any help from BMW

Back