how many with zero i3 problems?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3whodat

I'm just trying to learn all I can before I take the plunge.

I've read threads about REX and BEV i3 issues ranging from check engine light to charging issues and having to return the car to the dealer for several days/weeks. The KEL chargers that have new firmware that reduce the charge rate and even the situation where the locking charger connector has to be manually disconnected by removing the trunk inner siding and pulling a manual release cord.

Are there any problem free i3 cars that are out there? Please tell us whether its a REX or BEV. Has it been trouble free ownership? How many miles are on it, and what is the charging frequency and typical miles used.

Any other anecdotal information good, bad, ugly would also be appreciated to help make an informed buying decision.

Thanks!

:) I'm a ten day leaser of a i3 BEV with three hundred miles. Not going to be much help, but so far no issues. Based on my reading, it seems most issues are REx related (CEL & drive train issues), along with charging issues on both models. So far, everything is good and I've read reports that many aren't having problems.

When I received my i3 in August, dealer had already turned down the KLE charge rate. No problems yet (knock on plastic carbon fiber). Happy with it and we have not been back to the dealer yet.

Usage: 1300 miles, one trip was over 210 miles round trip requiring a single use of the Rex (consumed only 0.502 gallons of gas). Rex motor has not been used since. We get 2, up 3 days now between re-charging. Great if you find charging stations close to work or home. We installed a 240vac home level 2 charger.

Other than receiving the vehicle with KLE turned down (BMW NA knows we are waiting) - vehicle has been good.

4 weeks old and 2000 miles on a fully loaded REx. Not a single problem, except prying it away from my wife!

All answers have to be in the context of the fact that at least all U.S. owners have a defective KLE and a charge rate lower than advertised.

I've driven 1,000 miles so far and other than a day lost to getting a s/w update to fix the AC, everything has been good.

My experience is very limited (8 days and 655 miles) but no issues thus far!

Someone else mentioned it, I'll repeat to help the message be out there. The vast majority of issues seem to be in the US. Root cause theories being the smaller REX tank (for the check engine issues) and the 110v of the US electric grid (for the KLE charging issues).

elptex said:

Someone else mentioned it, I'll repeat to help the message be out there. The vast majority of issues seem to be in the US. Root cause theories being the smaller REX tank (for the check engine issues) and the 110v of the US electric grid (for the KLE charging issues).

Isn't the KLE issue related to the L2 Charging (220v)?

Mine had the one A/C inoperative issue, fixed quickly with the software patch. Other than that, 5000 miles with no other problems.

elptex said:

KLE is also uk.. i have eaten 2 and am on my third at reduced rate...

I have software update 07-503 which was in my car when I collected it a couple of weeks ago and my EVSE completes a full charge in about 4 hours so it would seem that the charge rate is not reduced in my car.

For fear of tempting the gods, let me say that I am just about to cross the 2,000 mile mark in my REx and no problems.

Put 4300 miles on mine before BMW declared it a lemon. They bought it back after 4 1/2 weeks at the dealer. Checked with the dealer this week and the car is still not fixed 2 weeks later. I know that several other have had their cars declared lemons too.

The problem is not so much that these cars are having issues but that BMW dealers and BMW NA have no idea how to fix them. Mine had an engineer from Germany fly out to attempt a fix the car because the dealer had no clue. That was at week 2 and at week 4 the car was still not fixed and sitting in pieces at the dealer.

Keep in mind that if down the road you do have any issues, expect an extended dealer stay. Most dealers are still learning to service these cars and they cannot do anything within direction from BMW NA. BMW NA can take 2-3 days to reply sometimes so your car will sit at the dealer a long time waiting to get support.

kevinb61 said:
elptex said:
Isn't the KLE issue related to the L2 Charging (220v)?
All ac charging is done through the KLE regardless of the input voltage. Not sure of the exact path for the DC fast charging, though. The KLE is, in addition to other monitoring/logic circuits, primarily a big ac-dc power supply.

3200 miles no issues... actually saying that... i have a glove box thats a bit of a pain to shut and the cigarette lighter under the dash rattles... :) apart from that all good. Very pleased.

Back