joni3s

Re: ConnectedDrive

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 am

Fisher99 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Mine is hit and miss on the climatize function. Worked great for most of the summer and now hasn't worked reliably for the last couple of months. It's not related to the location of the car since it is failing in the exact same places that it worked before. And it's not an AT&T coverage issue either.

I had my car at the dealer today and asked them about it. The service writer just smiled and said that everybody, regardless of the year or model of the BMW, has the same complaint. She has a fairly new 3 series and says that it fails more than it works for her. When I asked her why a company like BMW wasn't more interested in getting this fixed, she just shrugged and said that she hasn't been able to get any feedback from BMW on that issue.

I remain greatly baffled by this. Wish I knew how to get the attention of someone at BMW who might listen. Anybody know of a BMW complaint line or website?
I'm not going to say anything about how my connected drive app works for fear of jinxing it (only had it for 3 months though). But I imagine twitter is the better platform for getting some attention.
2018 I3s rex

3pete

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Fisher99 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Wish I knew how to get the attention of someone at BMW who might listen. Anybody know of a BMW complaint line or website?
It's extremely easy to provide feedback to BMW, simply try to do something urgently in the BMW remote app, and it will stop what you're doing to ask for feedback with a 0-10 rating and a place for comments. This is on top of the fact that the app has ratings of 2/5 and 3.5/5 rating in the Apple and Android app stores, respectively. You'd think they would already have enough suggestions to work on for improvement between those reviews and forums like this (if they were actually trying to improve anything) but apparently not.

Now, if you want someone to actually pay attention to the feedback you give, that's a different question!
joni3s wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 am
I imagine twitter is the better platform for getting some attention.
BMW's CEO is notoriously active on twitter and quite egotistical, so this might actually work. Wait, that's the CEO of a different electric car company. I'm not necessarily a fan of all of Tesla's actions and I'm definitely not a fan of all of their CEO's actions but I will point out that Tesla's App is rated 3.8/5 and 4.3/5 on the Apple and Android stores, which is about 50% better than BMW's ratings.

I guess BMW thinks this whole "internet" thing is a fad. This would be one thing if their sales were good enough to justify their approach, but they're not. Hopefully BMW will change course, like they are with no longer trying to charge people a monthly fee to use Apple CarPlay. The crazy thing is they're not that far off with their connected app-- they have a good setup, it just needs some minor tweaks in interface and a lot more reliability!
robthebold wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:14 pm
an i10 all-electric full-size Tesla-fighter luxury sedan
I know you're joking but I'm intrigued. Please, do go on...

KrisM

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:46 am

This has not directly anything to do with the connected drive or maybe it will... were is the control box for this system in the i3 ?

In my M135i it is in the back under the trunck panel, there are two wires for a antenna, if you remove them the car can not be
tracked anymore but your gps lost his function to. This I want for my i3 to whenever I have the need for it, I hate to be tracked
all the time. In most cases I travel without a smartphone just because I'm paranoid :lol:

Oke we had the laughs so back to the seriousness of my question, where is this device located in the i3 ?

alohart

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:07 pm

KrisM wrote:
This has not directly anything to do with the connected drive or maybe it will... were is the control box for this system in the i3 ?
Under the rear seat cushion
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

KrisM

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:45 am

alohart wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:07 pm
KrisM wrote:
Under the rear seat cushion
Thanks ! will take a look at it today.

frictioncircle

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:09 pm

KrisM –

Interesting post... Do you want to disconnect the antenna because you suspect that BMW is tracking the vehicle even though you can disable GPS vehicle tracking?

As for traveling without a smartphone... why not carry one and keep it in a Faraday bag?

https://www.tritechdf.com/black-hole-fa ... uches.html

KrisM

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:36 am

Yes I do believe that the tracking is possible even you "disconnect" the gps tracking, that is just a gadget that you self can not locate the vehicle but the "alert" button stills keep his function so the car can be tracked. In my M135i had to sign a paper by my dealer so BMW would not track the car anymore, now that is no option anymore but still I would not believe they couldn't do it anymore after signing that paper so I janked the cables out whenever I feel the need for it. The simcard is not removable in the car itself, I dismantled the unit from the M135i, the simcard is soldered on the printplate and does not function as in in a gsm, so not removable.

The matter of the smartphone is a beautiful object t keep everyone on track, same as they would like that everyone pays with a card. I hate pay-cards so I do not carry one, I'm total paranoid as you can see :lol:

I have such a bag to put the phone in, last time I putted the car-key in and walked to the car with the key in the bag and guess what, the car normally opens with a grab on the door-handle. So that was my believe in that bag...gone.

eNate

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:47 am

Not to temper your paranoia ;) but the faraday bag ought to have no trouble blocking the faint GPS timing signals your phone needs to receive in order to calculate your location.

Your key FOB, on the other hand, is actively receiving and transmitting with the car. A good faraday bag is supposed to block this, no doubt, but if you're really concerned you ought to test your cell phone to verify.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

jadnashuanh

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Not all bags are created equal, and it does matter whether you've got it properly closed and the bag is not damaged.

The original gps satellites had really low powered transmitters, and it was tough to get a good signal through most anything. The newer and newest versions are MUCH more powerful, and the receiver technology has improved, so it's not uncommon to get a signal through a roof, or in a forest, where that may not have been possible before.

Putting your phone in a Faraday bag will likely shorten its battery life as the phone will ramp up power to max to try to send and receive any signals, rather than (normally) only use a lower level output.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

robthebold

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:59 pm

For privacy purposes, you don't care if you're receiving gps signals, just that you're not transmitting your own position (that you're computing from the ephemerides). I guess if you can't receive, you can't compute, and if you can't compute, you have no position to share/leak, so in a roundabout way, blocking gps could help prevent your device from tattling your location . . . but if you're privacy obsessed for whatever reason, it's the transmission -- not just of your position -- that you're really concerned about.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”