Highest Mileage i3/REX?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher99

The i3 that I recently purchased from a friend is a 2014 i3/REX with 44,000 miles (He purchased it with 12,000 miles). I love the car and it still looks and drives like new, but this seems like a lot of miles for what is basically a "city" car. It got me to wondering if others on this forum might have i3's with even more miles than this?

i01guy said:
49k miles, 2014, 20% degradation per BMW in Dec 2018.

How did you get the degradation percentage? Is this a diagnostic that the dealer has to run for you?

I have a 2015 i3 rex that has 68,500 miles. I bought it used last year with 32,000 miles. Awesome car :)

I never understood the whole "city car" label. It's great at speeds on the interstate.

Our history:
  • 40,402 mi - BMW i3 Rex bought used with 6,000 mi in May 27, 2016, several trips up to 600 mi. Our backup was a Prius Prime with 16,000 mi traded in for the Tesla.
  • 12,125 mi - Tesla Model 3 bought new March 26, 2016,. AutoPilot makes long distance travel safer, easier, and cheaper than the BMW i3-REx.
We're keeping the BMW i3-REx as backup for the Tesla.

Bob Wilson

Zpmada said:
I have a 2015 i3 rex that has 68,500 miles. I bought it used last year with 32,000 miles. Awesome car :)

I never understood the whole "city car" label. It's great at speeds on the interstate.

You seriously put 36,500 miles on the i3 in ONE YEAR? WOW!
That's exactly 365 mils a day. When does that Rex come up for air? :D Good to know that motorcycle engine is tough. :mrgreen:

nickp said:
Zpmada said:

That's exactly 365 mils a day. When does that Rex come up for air? :D Good to know that motorcycle engine is tough. :mrgreen:

It works out to about 100 miles a day :) At work I use a 16 amp 208v outlet. My work commute is 52 miles each way, or 104 miles in a day. I use the level 1 charger at home which provides me with a full battery when I wake up. Since my commute is 52 miles, I have about 20-25% battery remaining when I get home, and the level 1 is enough to top me off by my morning commute. Then, weekend trips, and errands. I've gone weeks without the Rex kicking in. Having the ability to charge at work helps big time. My car is plugged into something almost anytime I'm not driving, although I am able to unplug my car and move it for a few hours during my lunch break when it's fully charged :)

Zpmada said:
nickp said:
Zpmada said:

It works out to about 100 miles a day :) At work I use a 16 amp 208v outlet. My work commute is 52 miles each way, or 104 miles in a day. I use the level 1 charger at home which provides me with a full battery when I wake up. Since my commute is 52 miles, I have about 20-25% battery remaining when I get home, and the level 1 is enough to top me off by my morning commute. Then, weekend trips, and errands. I've gone weeks without the Rex kicking in. Having the ability to charge at work helps big time. My car is plugged into something almost anytime I'm not driving, although I am able to unplug my car and move it for a few hours during my lunch break when it's fully charged :)

Yes I grossly miscalculated :D
It's great that you are able to charge it everywhere. I am in the same boat as you are. I have a level 1 charging spot installed for me so I am charging the car at work all the time. The only charging at home is on the weekends on my Level 2.

Zpmada said:
nickp said:
Zpmada said:

I'm also averaging ~100 miles/day in mine.

98 mile/day commute, but almost every day the car gets used for something else, also.

I do 90% of my commute at the speed 94mph speed limiter, so not driving it efficiently at all. :lol:

I have a 32 amp, 240v charger at home and a 16 amp, 240V charger at work, so it's just under half a charge when I get to work and just under half a charge when I get home.

Between my commute and using it for weekend errands, we're spending ~$600 less per month on gas. We bought the car for $19,100, so it'll be paid for in ~32 months just with money saved on gas.

CPO 2017 BEV. Bought the car with 25,000 miles, need to get it to 50,000 within 1 year to get full value out of the new car warranty, and then all we can the second year to get the most out of the CPO warranty... though so far it has needed no warranty work.

i01guy said:
49k miles, 2014, 20% degradation per BMW in Dec 2018.

I think we need clarification on the definition of 'degradation'. Besides going to a dealer, who might be trying to up-sell you into a newer BMW, what is an object definition of battery degradation?

We have close to 80K miles on our 2014 REX and would have packed more on if Covid had not hit. My wife driving it 100 miles a day commuting. Plus I drove it all weekend running errands.

We purchased used with 20K miles on it, 1 set of tires and one 12v battery is all it has needed. It is due for new tires again, I think I can just do the rears, going to give it a good looking over and see.

We have not noticed any real range degradation.

What tires get 60k out of them on an i3? I get between 15k and 25k and would like a real tire that can go normal distance.

??? We are getting 30K miles out of the set. More if I do not drive it, my wife is really easy on the car, me? No so much.

We have put 60K Miles on it. We purchased at 20K miles on it, BMW CPO with what appeared to be 4 brand new tires on it.

@ around 50K Miles we put a new set of tires on.

At 80K miles the tires are looking worn on the inside edge of the rears only. The fronts look like they could go another 10K miles.

Since my wife is barely driving it anymore, I am pushing that limit. Since it is always in town. I will get around to new tires eventually.

Everyone seems to complain about tire wear. I do not see a problem, I have owned many BMW's and most every one eats up rear tires at around 30K miles.

WIth the instant torque during acceleration, and the regeneration when you let off, the rear tires on an i3 get that double whammy, and will wear out first. Depending on how aggressively you drive, if you push it into turns, the front may wear from going around the curves, but not so much as you rarely need the brakes. IOW, it's fairly easy to stress the tires on an i3 without really realizing it compared to most vehicles since you won't have an engine screaming at you if you were.

Back