Greetings and DC fast charging question

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngwilliam

Just wanted to introduce myself and express my appreciation for this forum and the useful i3 info and insight. Our '18 protonic blue BEV was delivered last September, and we've been loving it ever since. The quirky and boxy design of the i3 and its fun factor equals my '76 2002.

My question regards DC fast charging vs. Level 1 or 120-volt charging with the occasional use cable. We've been taking advantage of the complimentary DC fast charging as there is an EVgo nearby. After 30 minutes or so of DC charging, the so-called "Guess-O-Meter" will indicate as much as 160 miles of projected ECO PRO+ range. At times when I top off the battery overnight with the OUC, the projected range for ECO PRO+ tops off at 120 miles or so.

I've searched on-line and have not found an explanation for the greater range; is DC charging more "concentrated"? I'm guessing it's just an estimate and per ConnectedDrive, my personal best before "refueling" is a more realistic 106 miles.

Thanks in advance,

O=00=O

Are you sure that the car is completely charging overnight using the OUC? I believe that the early USA i3's with the small batteries would need 12-16 hours to charge on the OUC, and I would imagine that newer cars with bigger batteries might not even finish charging overnight.....

Good point, but the half dozen or so times I've topped off with an OUC at home, the SOC was already at 90-95%. After an overnight charge, the SOC reading would be close to 100% which would indicate a full charge.

The G-O-M is just that, a guess. Consider instead your battery charge and your average mi/kWh for the specific season/weather.

Back