Traction battery warranty

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waitingi3

My i3 is reporting only 14Kwh capacity and the range has diminished considerably since it was new in 1994. Does anyone know at what point the warranty will consider replacing the battery?

To check capacity follow the YouTube youtu.be/tw5i1Ki-RpY

Jeff

I assume you meant 2014...

Take it to a BMW dealer and have them check it. The readout you can get from the car isn't what they use. THey have a special procedure, and checking will take a day or so.

As BMW chooses not to provide battery information after each service, I suspect that this type of concern will increasingly emerge as batteries get closer to their end of warranty period. I confess that I have always gone on range. When I sold my 2015 i3Rex in March this year, I hadn't seen any range degradation but I accept that is not to say that battery was still charging to 100% of what it was when I first purchased the car.

I am pretty sure that if I took my i3 in for a battery check in the UK, my dealer would want me to agree to pay for the diagnostic test and labour. Clearly, if the test showed that there was an issue covered by the battery warranty then there is a discussion to be had.

Waitingi3 said:
My i3 is reporting only 14Kwh capacity and the range has diminished considerably since it was new in 1994. Does anyone know at what point the warranty will consider replacing the battery?

To check capacity follow the YouTube youtu.be/tw5i1Ki-RpY

Jeff

I am amazed that your "1994" battery is still doing OK. :D (Couldn't resist)
But more seriously, how much of actual range are you getting? Are your driving conditions too hot or cold?

Back