No Parking Assistant for i3s variant?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkepTeach

I am ordering a 2019 i3s REx and noticed that Parking Assistant isn't an option on the builder for the BEV or REx. It's available on the non-s BEV and REx. My CA sent the build sheet and it isn't listed as a standard feature or anything. Is it because of the flared fenders or something?

Yes, the flared front fenders prevent the side-facing ultrasonic sensors used by Parking Assist from being installed in their normal location. However, at least 1 i3 owner who installed S fender flares on his non-S i3 was able to relocate these side-facing ultrasonic sensors to preserve Parking Assist's functionality. I have no idea whether Parking Assist's functionality suffered with this modification.

Because a backup camera is now included on all i3's (i.e., the Parking Assist option isn't necessary to have a backup camera) and because Parking Assist hasn't worked particularly well for parallel parking (e.g., slow to park and wheels have been damaged), I would not pay for the Parking Assist option.

alohart said:
Yes, the flared front fenders prevent the side-facing ultrasonic sensors used by Parking Assist from being installed in their normal location. However, at least 1 i3 owner who installed S fender flares on his non-S i3 was able to relocate these side-facing ultrasonic sensors to preserve Parking Assist's functionality. I have no idea whether Parking Assist's functionality suffered with this modification.

Because a backup camera is now included on all i3's (i.e., the Parking Assist option isn't necessary to have a backup camera) and because Parking Assist hasn't worked particularly well for parallel parking (e.g., slow to park and wheels have been damaged), I would not pay for the Parking Assist option.

I have owned the i3 for about a year and a half and the parking assist has never failed me in tight spots. Slow to park? Not at all. In fact the speed makes me a bit nervous every time. Never a scratch on my wheels. Perfect parking every time!

nickp said:
I have owned the i3 for about a year and a half and the parking assist has never failed me in tight spots. Slow to park? Not at all. In fact the speed makes me a bit nervous every time. Never a scratch on my wheels. Perfect parking every time!
When I've tried Parking Assist, I've been embarrassed by how long cars behind me have had to wait for Parking Assist to back into the available parking space. I can park much faster, so I choose not to use Parking Assist.

I have used Parking Assist only twice and did not experience wheel damage either time. However, there are many reports of expensive wheel damage caused by Parking Assist scraping a wheel against a curb. The risk:reward ratio is much too great for me.

i3 owners have guessed that Park Assist aligns an i3 with the car parked behind rather than monitoring the curb because there is no side-facing ultrasonic sensor in the rear, and the backup camera might not have sufficient resolution to judge the curb position accurately. So maybe if the car behind is parked very close to the curb, Park Assist might try to park too close and scrape a wheel in the process. I don't think we really understand how it works.

Back