Openpilot anyone?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Source: https://medium.com/@comma_ai/how-to-write-a-car-port-for-openpilot-7ce0785eda84

• openpilot is an open source self-driving agent. Currently it performs the functions of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS).

Anyone taking a look at this for our BMW i3?

Bob Wilson

Not me, but it does look interesting! The big question is if you want to pay $600 for a camera and $400 more or whatever a FlexRay interface costs, with no guarantee that the software can be made to work? There is apparently $1,850 in bounties up to defer the development costs should someone want to take it on:

https://comma.ai/bounties

Depressingly bare BMW porting wiki:

https://community.comma.ai/wiki/index.php/BMW

My big concern is the performance of TJA at higher speeds and if Openpilot will have the same issues due to underlying deficiencies in the i3. It has been theorized in forum posts that the reason why it can't deal with sharper bends at highway speeds is that the electronics cannot generate enough force in the steering system. I also suspect that it gets jerky at higher speeds because the ACC/TJA computer is under-sized for processing stereo images at a frame rate suitable for going faster. From a quick browse of the readme on the Openpilot Github page, I'm wondering if the theory about TJA not being able to apply enough force is wrong, and it wasn't an intentional engineering decision required by law to qualify as a level 2 gizmo?

Another concern is if/how their software will function without the factory radar that is common with other marques' ACC implementations but lacking in the i3's setup. They apparently have a way to use aftermarket radar hardware, which might make this project more desirable to those of us who have ACC shut down daily due to sun glare.....

My thinking right now is to watch their FlexRay development for the next 6 months, since other manufacturers are also using it and they have a work-in-progress using FlexRay. Let the people who know the project the best get a working FlexRay setup, and then someone can look at porting that work over to the i3. I'm now following the project on Github, so I don't forget to go back and check on their progress next spring.....

Not me. I'm one of those old fashioned types who actually likes to drive his own car...

First of all I would like to introduce myself as an avid automation junky.. I was at the first DARPA Grand Challenge in Barstow as I couldn't believe any entry would even come close to completing the challenge.. Sorely I was right.. I stuck with all the Challenges and was there to watch Tartan Racing win in Victorville.

One of the prime reasons for my buying a BMWi3 was to take advantage of the autonomous capabilities. I have owned my BMW i3 for 2 weeks now and love it. I purchased a 2015 REX with 75K Miles for $15K. It took me 3 months of hunting to find the one I wanted for the right price. I purchased the Bimmercode app, ordered the VGATE bluetooth dongle and the ENET RJ45 OBD Cable all on the day I bought the car. Within 4 days I had the REX coded using the Bimmercode app and decided to send $299 to Quidzel for the HOD Emulator.

I have followed all of the instructions on the quidzel website downloading and installing ESYS with PSdSdata Lite... It was my understanding that was all I needed to Code. I can make a connection to the car and read FA and SVT but I do not get the full vehicle profile and have not been able to see 5AR TJA as an option..

Well, I digressed into my problems with coding but I wanted to make a statement about my excitement for driving automation. Already I am just absolutely giddy about using active cruise control!! I have been flying planes as a GA pilot for close to 20 years. Everything from 170 HP backcountry 172's to 350 HP TwinTurbo Lancair IVP's. Both are fun to fly but handing the straight and level flying off to an autopilot for 3 hours reduces the stress and workload. Cut to the i3... Last Friday I had to drive from Ventura, CA to Lake Arrowhead, CA and go right through the belly of the beast in Los Angeles. Suffice to say I was on the 101 crawling at 0 to 15 mph for an hour. In the i3 I think I touched the accelerator ONCE... The whole time I was comfortably listening to podcasts and music gloriously fiddling with the iDrive, texting, doing all the crap I wouldn't be doing if I had to spend precious cognitive time hitting the brake or accelerator. People that know me where aghast that I chose to drive 3 hours what I would normally fly in 1.

Wow... and after blabbing on and on.. I see I just got a reply from Quidzel... More later.. Hopefully I can hand over some steering input shortly..

Although I'm not interested in having my car drive for me, I am nonetheless very interested in the process that you are going through to make automate yours. Please keep us posted on the progress!

I have now been operating the TJA (Traffic jam Assitant) function on my i3 for almost 2 weeks.

To clarify all I have at this point is the function enabled at the factory for the European market. Meaning self-driving ONLY work's on an Expressway, (.. what we call a Freeway) and only in those instances when traffic has slowed below 35 mph. Through other CODING processes, I can apparently make changes to variables and up the speed and change the type of road that TJA will operate in.

The car worked flawlessly in heavy stop and go traffic on the 101 through the San Fernando Valley yesterday. I was absolutely giddy and amazingly relaxed as I recognized the automated tasks it was able to do and the tasks it wouldn't be able to do.

What it does well is just follow the car in front of it and leaves a fair buffer.

That went on for 25 MINUTES!

It really is a mundane task that I just handed over to a computer. I arrived at my destination much more relaxed then if I had been fighting traffic.

What it doesn't do well is if the vehicle in front of you stays stopped for a period longer than 2 seconds you need to reactivate it by stepping on the accelerator.

Very happy with the car so far.

cki3pilot said:
I have now been operating the TJA (Traffic jam Assitant) function on my i3 for almost 2 weeks.

To clarify all I have at this point is the function enabled at the factory for the European market. Meaning self-driving ONLY work's on an Expressway, (.. what we call a Freeway) and only in those instances when traffic has slowed below 35 mph. Through other CODING processes, I can apparently make changes to variables and up the speed and change the type of road that TJA will operate in.

did you code using esys?

I am up for the Open Pilot, although I have been re-thinking the BMW i3. I have a 2017 and that front battery recently went dead, luckily it was still under warranty but they could not get a battery into the BMW dealer for over 2 MONTHS!!!! :evil: It was ridiculous, at least I convinced them to give me a loaner, said they needed the OEM part since it was warranty work.

Anyone want to buy a 2017 Black BMW i3 Rex, 20k miles, Sunroof, Harmon Kardon? haha I will pay shipping anywhere in the US.

Back