Speakers/Sound System info

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deutsch100

Hi all. I don't have the HK upgraded sound system in my '19 i3S. Most of my previous Bimmers had HK, and I never really noticed much difference in sound quality or performance (don't shoot me, lol). So when I found my i3S and it had every thing I wanted, but no HK...I did't care (honestly, I wish I did not have the glass moonroof, but dealer said it is good for resale/trade in).

Anyway, looking at my window sticker and reading on the BMW USA website, there is no information given about the standard sound system. Does anyone know how many speakers it even has, what it's "power" is? I personally find the sound fine. Nothing great, nothing bad.

Thanks! Happy Sunday.

The standard base stereo is made by HK also and has four speakers, two in the doors, two in the foot well. Not much info out their on the specs.

The premium HK puts in the Harman Kardon DSP 360 watt amplifier in Class-D technology with a total output of 360 watts, and 12 speakers.
5 x 26 mm metal-matrix dome tweeters in the dashboard, front, side and rear,
2 x 150 x 230mm midbass woofers, front,
5 x 100mm ALumaprene midrange speakers in the front, side & rear,

Thanks MKH, appreciated! Ok, so the upgraded HK premium system does make my standard system sound like total sh*t :-O LOL

Deutsch100 said:
Thanks MKH, appreciated! Ok, so the upgraded HK premium system does make my standard system sound like total sh*t :-O LOL

I've also always had HK in all my BMWs, but couldn't find an i3 with everything I wanted with HK, so I settled for the base system. Yeah its a 4 speaker system, which isn't really that bad once the bass level is turned to about 4 clicks below the midway point, The high tones are alright, the midtones are a little muffled. I was able to properly mod the system by splicing into the amp under the rear seats and pulling power and inputs to power a small slim subwoofer mounted on the rear of the backseats. Now it is a immersive experience for sure. The sub isn't even turned up that much but it greatly fills the 350-50Hz frequency band and just sounds so good given the nice wide open space in the i3. When I blast rock music, the punchy kick from the bass hits you in the chest, and when I put dance/electronic/techno music, your butt goes numb from the deep thumping bass.
Total invested in upgrades, $100ish for speaker+amp, $25 for wires connectors, splicers, etc. 5$ beer for a friend who helped out. so for $130 in, I'd pick what I have over the factory HK system for $800, hands down.

Back