What's special about the i3 that makes it not work with the "Jesla jr"?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pete

Staff member
I recently came across this product in my internet travels and while I have no interest in it, especially at that price point, I found it interesting that they single out that it does NOT work with the BMW i3. They don't mention the i8 on that product page but their "non-Junior" version of the product claims it DOES work with both the i3 and i8 (and for a mere $900, too!).

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-JR-is-THE-32-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLAJR.htm

From what I can tell, the jr just appears to be a 32amp version of Tesla's charger, and if it can work on other J1772 cars I would have thought it'd be fine for the i3 too. Now curiosity has gotten the better of me: is there actually anything special about the way the i3 charges that would cause various chargers to not be compatible? Did Tesla maybe do something weird in this charger? It could be something as boring as this seller put an incorrect statement on their product page, but that seems odd that they specifically call out the i3.

Back