Warranty Ending Soon ! - Help on 2015 Warranty / Free Maintenance / Recalls ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlC

The 2015 i3 Rex we just got was 1st sold 1/2/2016 so its original 4y / 50K mile Warranty is ending very soon, what all should I have checked ??

- What Under Warranty ?
- Any Free Maintenance ?
- Any Service Campaign / Recall items ?

Thx for your help !

Karl

No free maintenance - that was only for the first three years.

Have the Dealer look up the car's service records for:
The motor mount bolts should have been replaced with the stronger ones, and a software update installed to prevent stress on the mounts.
The fuel temperature and pressure sensor should have been replaced under a recall.
The REx fuel line should have had a clip installed under a recall to keep it from rubbing and developing a leak.

See if the records show if the 12v battery was replaced - they tend to fail between 4 and 5 years.

Seems common for the 2015 to have the drivers airbag fail, and have to be replaced.

If the AC is 'noisy' have that checked. Very expensive if it fails.

18 months ago, I picked up a 2015 Rex and decided to get an extended warranty from BMW. I did that last year and extended it to 84 months. We have 3 years left on this warranty.

Our deal was complicated as the car came from California and was imported into Vancouver. We got the warranty through BMW Canada on a car that was sold by BMW US. This took a bit to get sorted out. So far we haven't had to use the warranty, fingers crossed! I still have to get my connected drive services switched over and that is coming up this week. I have been using the service with my buddies Seattle address but time to get that sorted out.

MKH said:

The motor mount bolts should have been replaced with the stronger ones, and a software update installed to prevent stress on the mounts.
The fuel temperature and pressure sensor should have been replaced under a recall.
The REx fuel line should have had a clip installed under a recall to keep it from rubbing and developing a leak.

See if the records show if the 12v battery was replaced - they tend to fail between 4 and 5 years.

Seems common for the 2015 to have the drivers airbag fail, and have to be replaced.

Thx for the above info !

Someone also mentioned - The Rubber boots that cover the front shock absorbers - I checked and mine are coming apart, so they look to need to be replaced.

Anything else I should have checked ???

Thx Karl

jadnashuanh said:
Every 24-months since built (not first sold), BMW wants the brake system flushed...so, if it hasn't been done, it's probably past due.

Free scheduled services do not transfer to subsequent owners of a 2015 model, so this is out-of-pocket if it is overdue. :(

If the brake fluid was changed at the dealer, the new due date should be listed in the iDrive menus.....

I'm the 3rd owner of my 2014 i3/REX and just took it to the dealer for the first time since I have owned it (since June). They did an inspection, changed the engine oil, and a few other things dictated under the "required service" and it was covered under the original "free service". Looks like that will continue until about this time in 2020.

The CPO warranty on the car, however, expires next month. I've got 49k miles on the vehicle and am wondering if I should investigate extending the warranty. Guess I will ask the dealer about that when I go back next week. The windshield washer pump is leaking and they had to order one. It'a s 120 mile round trip to the dealer so I was a bit bummed that they had to order a part.

MKH said:

I have read elsewhere that they will only replace the motor mount bolts if one of them fails. But in any case I think this is classified as a limited recall and all recall items should be independent of whether or not there is warranty coverage on the vehicle.

Fisher99 said:
I have read elsewhere that they will only replace the motor mount bolts if one of them fails. But in any case I think this is classified as a limited recall and all recall items should be independent of whether or not there is warranty coverage on the vehicle.
Many of us had the motor mount bolt replaced under a BMW service action even though the original bolt had not broken. I'm pretty certain that this wasn't a NHTSA recall.

I'm guessing that a BMW dealer would perform this service action even if the warranty had expired. However, there might be a date past which this service action would not be performed at no cost.

They replaced everyone's bolts, but only did the mounts if they were broken. Those new bolts were stronger...the original ones, under certain circumstances could shear off. At the same time, they reprogrammed the logic to adjust the reaction when they detected the wheel(s) off the ground, and how much they might accelerate. The abrupt stop or slowdown when the tire reached the ground is what could damage the mount or bolt - the electric motor can accelerate quite quickly! In some ways, it was probably better for the bolt to shear rather than the mount, but avoiding both was the goal. If you've ever driven in Germany, you'd probably agree their typical roads are well maintained. This didn't show up in the years of testing prior to release. Parts of the US have some pretty sorry roads, and IMHO, the average driver is less attentive, so curbs, potholes, etc., did it in. I had a similar engineering issue with an older Audi...our fuel is allowed to have more sulfur than Europe, at least in Germany. It caused the fuel sensors to fail. It took them two redesigns to get a set that actually worked with our fuel...only started to show up after 2-3 years.

Back