New 2019 120 Pack Operation

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idleup

I was considering a late model 17-18 but thanks to the new pack I'm considering a new 19 model. With the new 120 pack on the 19's I have two questions:

1) Do they finally let you start the RX from the console or do I need the fix?

2) With the bigger pack does the RX kick on with a higher SOC now?

3) Since the pack is much larger are we still limited to using only the smaller 1.9 gal fuel tank capacity.

4) Any other items of interest on the 19s?

Thanks

I believe it is stated that the i3 uses the 2.2 gallon tank for worldwide markets now, including the USA.

Sadly, you cannot engage the Range Extender manually in the USA, like several other markets allow :( Such a shame.

Range Extender will engage automatically when your battery is around 6-7%.

The 'S' version on the 2019 i3 is well worth it. Looks great and the Sport mode feels really good (you still have Comfort, Eco and the dreaded Eco+, LOL)

I believe that you still need to code the car to allow starting the REX at a higher SOC (around 75%). I have assigned this function to the "8" button on my dash.

Thanks for the reply. My old 2014 just used a usb dongle. I just placed a deposit on a new 19 today so I need to get the device. Could someone provide a link to the easiest code I can get I only want to run the RX and use the extra fuel.

Thanks I’m advance

Mike

I use the Vgate iCar Pro OBD2 dongle and the BimmerCode app (available in Android and IOS).

And I don't think you need to code to use the full 2.2 gallons on later model i3's.

Thanks I would think the fuel tank would not be a problem now since the original reason was to achieve more electric miles than gas.

Is there a review or video link so I can get what I’ll need. Too bad you can’t just use the usb dongle like the old days.

Thanks

Idleup said:
Is there a review or video link so I can get what I’ll need.
This Website has information about the BimmerCode app, links to download the app to your iOS or Android device, and several OBD dongle recommendations.

Idleup said:
Too bad you can’t just use the usb dongle like the old days.
I think the old method supported only enabling manual starting of the generator and increasing the usable amount of gasoline (not needed for 2017 and later models) whereas BimmerCode supports making all sorts of behavioral changes that make the i3 more convenient to drive.

Idleup said:
Thanks I would think the fuel tank would not be a problem now since the original reason was to achieve more electric miles than gas.

Is there a review or video link so I can get what I’ll need. Too bad you can’t just use the usb dongle like the old days.

Thanks

Here is a video about the coding options you asked for, happy holidays to all !

BMW i3 REx Coding Hold SOC and Unrestricting Tank

As ALOHART says, the BimmerCode app allows you to change/enable/disable lots of features on your i3. For example, in addition to coding my gas tank capacity and REX SOC start percentage, I also coded mine to remote climatize with the panic button on the remote and to automatically fold and unfold the mirrors when the doors are locked/unlocked. Lots of other stuff you can do as well. Once you get the app you can browse through the menus and take a look at the options and see if anything grabs your attention. I used the same app to make some nice changes to my wife's 535i xDrive as well.

My understanding is that with certain applications you can change the 6% to 12% (or perhaps higher).

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5746

joni3s said:
My understanding is that with certain applications you can change the 6% to 12% (or perhaps higher).

Reportedly, coding has changed only the indicated charge level at which the REx engine would automatically start but not the actual charge level which remained unchanged at ~6.5%. There might be another coding change that could change the actual REx automatic start point, but AFAIK, that hasn't been discovered.

alohart said:
joni3s said:

Reportedly, coding has changed only the indicated charge level at which the REx engine would automatically start but not the actual charge level which remained unchanged at ~6.5%. There might be another coding change that could change the actual REx automatic start point, but AFAIK, that hasn't been discovered.

Interesting.. so for those that have seen the 12% indication, nothing actually happens?

Walking my way through the ECMs in Esys, it was staggering to see all of the potential codes that could be changed.

joni3s said:
Interesting.. so for those that have seen the 12% indication, nothing actually happens?
That's what has been reported. Either some other coding changes would be required or the automatic REx start charge level can't be changed via coding which makes sense if this charge level is identical across all markets.

joni3s said:
Walking my way through the ECMs in Esys, it was staggering to see all of the potential codes that could be changed.
Many of the coding parameters don't apply to an i3, so changing them would have no effect. Nevertheless, there are many parameters that do apply to an i3 and whose effects have not been described well.

Various BMW models share some of the same modules, so having similar codes may make a lot of sense. Different overall characteristics mean not all of the same functionality will be called for, nor will the effects or range be identical to customize it to a specific vehicle. Then, throw in various revisions of those modules, and that can add in some other parameters that need to be tweaked.

There are variations in what's required for different country codes, too, so the combinations start to become huge.

Hello Fisher99–

I hate to bother you, but what menu are the options in to reprogram the “panic” button on the remote? I could be missing it, but have been through each menu in the Bimmer iOS app and I can’t find one that mentions the remote...???

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Here are the instructions that I used. The panic button is button #4, and I coded it for a long press and a value of "Wert_07" (although it says "Auxillary Cooling", it is really the "climatize" function, so will initiate cooling or heating as needed).

BDC Body Module:

Change Behavior of Buttons on Keyfob (short, med, long press of button)

30D0  RC_DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_SHORT set to: option below
30D0  RC_DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_MID set to: option below
30D0  RC_DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_LONG set to: option below
30D0  RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_SHORT set to: option below
30D0  RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_MID set to: option below
30D0  RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_LONG set to: option below

Wert_00 = No Action
Wert_02 = Open Trunk (rear Boot)
Wert_03 = Panic Alarm
Wert_04 = Follow-Me-Home (find car in dark parking lot – lights on)
Wert_05 = Open Frunk (front boot)
Wert_07 = Auxillary Cooling

Hello...

Why would you bother with starting the REX manually? Why not let it do its thing automatically?

You would want to enable the range extender if you don't want to have it kick in at 6% battery level. Better when you are letting it maintain "state of charge" (SOC) when you are on a long trip. Say doing a highway trip to a place that has public or private chargers that are a bit out of range of your battery.

Or if you do your own maintenance and want to change the range extender's motor oil. Warm it up before changing the oil.

Back