Something Strange Happening

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher99

Today my 2014 i3/REX started something new. When I shut it off, things don't totally shut off. The little fan icon on the temperature dial stays on. The hazard switch light on the dashboard stays on. And the lights that surround the headlight switch stay on.

I have not initiated a climatization process nor is it during a scheduled departure time. And even though the little fan icon is lit up, the fan is not running. I am not getting the "some accessories are still active" message when I shut it off.

Any thoughts?

I would try de-selecting departure time to get rid of the fan icon. As far as I know, it is normal to have some dash lights stay on for a while after you exit the car.

Sort of depends. It takes about 15-minutes for the car to shut down unless you lock the doors. What happens if you lock it, or at the minimum, hit the start button a second time (when your foot is off the brake pedal)?

If the REx had been running when you stopped, things may need to run a bit to ensure things have cooled off enough.

So, here is what I have observed so far:

I stop the car (REX not running). Press the STOP button a 2nd time (with foot off brake) and most of the interior lights (including the i-Drive screen) turn off. the speedo screen stays on with the BMW "I" logo, as do many other dashboard lights and the interior door handle lights, and the STOP button pulses orange. When I open and close the door more lights go out. When I lock the car the red hazard light button and the dashboard lights surrounding the headlight switch stay lit.

I checked it every 15 minutes, for an hour and 45 minutes, before I gave up and went to bed. Those lights were still lit. However, this morning when I checked it, all lights were out. So, they do go out, but it takes a LONG time. This is a new occurrence for my car, and I suspect that it started a few weeks ago when the dealer replaced the Body Control Module. Maybe newer i3's all act like this and now mine does too with a new BCM? This is all very strange to me as I can think of no beneficial reason for the hazard button light and the lights surrounding the headlight switch to stay lit.

On a related note, in my original post I also mentioned that the fan icon on the temperature control dial stayed lit, even though there was no active our upcoming Departure Time scheduled. Well, there was a Departure Time scheduled but not for 3 days. I turned off the Departure Time schedule and now the fan icon is off, so that explains that part of it. But again, this is a new phenomenon and it didn't do this before the new BCM.

So, I'm wondering if I need to contact the dealer and report this. My CPO warrant runs out in a few weeks so if there is a problem, I'd certainly want it taken care of immediately. But maybe this is how the newer i3's act? I'm hopeful that some of you with newer i3's can comment.

CanisLupus said:
What position is the headlight switch in . I leave mine in 'A' (automatic) .

Yes, mine is also in automatic.

I've been watching this over a few days now and it is holding consistent. Shut the car off (pressing START twice), exit the car, and lock the car, and the hazard light and the lights surrounding the headlight switch stay on. For at least an hour and 45 minutes, although it may be longer. I do know that if I go out and checked it about 4 hours later the dash lights are off.

It definitely did not do this before they replaced the Body Control Module. I was hoping that this was something that the new i3's do, and mine now does because of the new BCM, but it is seeming more likely that this is some abnormal behavior. Guess I need to make a call to the BMW dealer and see what they say.

Back