How Long Do Your Dash Lights Stay On

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher99

I posted about this under a different thread topic and want to ask a follow up question, but thought it needed a thread topic that more accurately describes the question.

QUESTION: How long do your dash lights stay on after you exit the car and lock the doors? And do all lights stay on/go out, or just some? And also, what year is your car?

After the Body Control Module was replaced in my 2014 i3/REX, the red hazard button light and the lights surrounding the headlight switch stay on for at least an hour and 45 minutes (might be longer, but I have not verified). The rest of the dash lights go out. When I come out to the car in the morning these lights are out, so they do shut off at some point. I'm wondering whether this is something that happens with all later model i3's and I am just now experiencing it because of the new Body Control Module. I'd like to have a little more information before I contact my BMW dealer.

Thanks for any responses, and apologies for a somewhat double post.

The indicator lights you listed behave similarly to mine in my 2017 BEV.

Nate: Thank you for your reply! I guess I'll just chalk this up to the updated Body Control Module and quit worrying about it. Thanks for giving me some peace of mind!

Now if the update had just given me the bigger battery of your 2017.... :)

For what it's worth, right off the bat I thought this was odd, that I noticed these staying on an hour or so after I parked, but not on the next morning.

I agree. It's especially concerning when your car never used to do this, but starts this behavior after some mechanical work by the dealer. Although I'm sure that I'll never find out the rational, I can't help but wonder why BMW would choose to leave these particular lights on for an extended period of time. Maybe I could understand the red hazard light. But the lights surrounding the headlight switch? Really??? And maybe for a couple of minutes, but for over an hour and 45 minutes? This borders on bizarre.

Oh well. I'll just file this under the heading of "There's absolutely nothing mundane, common, or boring about a BMW i3". I embrace its funkiness.

Again, thanks for helping set my mind at ease.

Back