I3 vs i3s new member

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

747lexus

Hello everyone new member here and a new i3 enthusiast! I’ve come to really be fond of the car and want to get one as my next car!
Coming from a performance car, I of course got interested in the added power of the S model. But on a bit of a budget so wanted to ask any owners what their thoughts were between the two?
I was hoping to pick up one w an extended range as well as a moonroof w white exterior and interior.

When I got my 2019 i3s in Sept, I chose the S for the looks being honest! The non-S has slightly higher range, but the i3s just looks so good....the slightly flared wheel arches and different rear and front bumpers make the car look really cool.

If you can swing it, for sure get the i3s.

Skipping the range extender and moonroof is more impactful to the sportiness of the car than getting the S. If you value performance, skip the two options you mentioned.

Of course, the sportiest would be the S with no range extender or sunroof.

I would echo what the others posted. I had a non-S REx ('17 model) for 3 years and it was perfect. My *only* complaint about that car was the high beams. I live in a rural area and the pre-'18 refresh high beams were a JOKE. I replaced them with something brighter but they still sucked. And honestly, another i3 would never have been a consideration if they hadn't changed it. But they did, so when my old lease ended, I batted around a couple configuration options and realized that the aesthetics of the 's' were just so nice in red with black wheels. And the new high beams, HOLY COW, they're amazing!

Do I notice any difference in the driving characteristics though? Well, my old one had the sunroof and the new one doesn't. The carbon fiber roof if you don't get the sun roof looks really neat, so keep that in mind. That was actually a pleasant surprise when I took delivery. Sometimes I kind of miss the sun roof, but not enough to regret it, especially every time I see that cf roof in the sun. When I first started driving the 's', I thought I could notice a bit more pep but that's probably from less weight or just placebo. I did notice better handling feel in the curves, but it is slight. All i3's are pretty fun to drive in the curves.

Other than aesthetics, something you will get in the 's' that you won't in the non 's' is a sport mode. I hardly use it, sometimes forget it's there, but when I remember and the mood hits me and the conditions are right, it really does change the nature of the car! Not great to drive it that way in town as it's too jerky, but on a twisty country road like we have here, it's a blast.

The REx is way more of a performance penalty than the moonroof. 300 lbs of REx vs 40 lbs of sunroof (albeit the sunroof is at the highest point, so raises the COG).

Thank you guys! Sounds good.. but it being a daily driver myself and my gf agreed it be a great option to have a sunroof and the Rex would be needed.
If the performance gains aren’t that significant on the S model I really think the i3 in general looks really good/cute enough. So if it’s a good savings I would probably opt for a normal i3 w a sunroof
As for performance we had a Prius as a daily for a long while so I’m not looking to go hotrodding the i3 much lol but I’m sure w the electric motor it sounds like a fun car to drive.
Later on I’m planning on rebuilding my older Supra as an all out performance car and enjoy this reliable fun car as a good daily!
The red def does look sporty! But we like the white the best it pops so much and looks so cute haha

747lexus said:
...If the performance gains aren’t that significant on the S model...

Ha! Know what's funny? "Performance" to many an i3 owner = "Range" so in that respect the i3 "outperforms" the i3s. :)

747lexus said:
...is getting a 2017 a lot better option than 2016 and below models?

Main difference is a 50% increase in battery capacity / range for 2017.

My wife's favorite part of the car is the "his and hers" sunroofs. Or moonroofs. Or T-top. Ha! That way everyone can flame me for writing the wrong thing! She's pretty unimpressed with manual seats and the general austerity of the cabin, but the sunroof, she likes.

That said, the sunroof/moonroof/t-top lets a lot of light (and heat) through even with the shade pulled. I really notice that on my bald head, but even the well-coiffed will feel the heat gain in a hot summer climate on a bright sunny day. And the reduced insulation also lets the cold tickle my scalp a lot more in the wintertime -- again, even with the shade pulled. But hats are plentiful, right?

Still, I like the sunroof in mild weather. If only I had more of that here.

Also, to my eye, the roof on the sunroof-equipped car doesn't appear to be carbon fiber. I've looked at it from every angle in many lighting conditions, and I can't see what others describe. I've been forcefully told here that I'm wrong and that I can't trust my lying eyes, so take that with a grain of salt.

I just ordered a fully loaded 2020 i3. This will be my 3rd i3, and I use it mostly in a dense urban environment that has significant winters (Toronto, Canada).

The constant freezing and thawing in the winter months wreaks havoc with pavement resulting in cracks and potholes and poor road quality. Riding on 19" wheels is less bumpy than 20" wheels, and so for me an i3 with 19" wheels is preferable to an i3s with 20" wheels purely from a comfort perspective.

Another factor is ground clearance in snow as our side streets are not always cleared. The i3 has higher ground clearance - the i3s has been lowered by about 1". A small but significant factor when trying to park on a snow bank or drive through snow...

As to performance the i3 is a surprisingly peppy and highly manoeuvrable city car. I imagine the i3s is marginally better, and if I lived further south I would give it more consideration.

Good luck with your choice!

robthebold,

When I had a '17 with the sunroof, it wasn't carbon fiber. My new '19 s without the sunroof is though.

I've driven my i3S with the "S" 20s (style 431) (not the regular 20s iirc 430 ) as well as the 19s (428). Very different feel, I would get a test drive of both models before i decided.

Back