Fisher99

Things I Dislike About My i3

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Ok, after 8 months of ownership I was going to post the things that I LIKE about the i3, but the list was too long. I'm absolutely loving this car, and this short, and mostly trivial, list of dislikes, pretty much tells it all.
  • Non-opening rear windows. I wish that they would open even just a couple of inches. In nice weather I like driving with the driver's door window open, but it develops a nasty "booming" in the car because the incoming air needs a place to exit. Yes, I know that they say that running the A/C is more efficient than having the windows open, but I like having the window open. I have found that if I rest my arm on the window sill and place my hand at just the right angle, just back from the mirror, that I can deflect enough air to quite the booming, but still, if the rear windows would only open a couple of inches...
  • I wish that the outside temperature displayed on the center screen rather than on the gauge screen. I like having the remaining battery percentage displayed on the gauge screen but my wife always wants to know the outside temperature, so I end up switching back and forth a lot, since both readouts occupy the same place on the same screen. Trivial, I know, but a pain in the neck.
  • The lack of tire options for the 20" wheels. Really, what were they thinking? If you're only going to make one tire compound available, why would you pick a summer-only compound as opposed to an all season compound??? Yes, I'm aware that the 19" wheels have all season options. And probably they positioned the 20" wheels as a "sport" option, but still, it's possible to have a plenty sporty all season compound. At least sporty enough for a car like the i3.
So that's my list. All but the tire issue are fairly trivial, which speaks volumes for how much I love this car! And I know that I can resolve the tire issue by buying different wheels, but I'm too cheap to shell out a grand on wheels.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

eNate

Re: Things I Dislike About My i3

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Hmmm...

• Lack of roof rack hardpoints. Sucks I'm stuck sticking suction cups to my roof.
  • Lack of volume un-mute I've complained about previously. If I'm muted, and I select an audio source, unmute my dang audio!
  • Lack of seat bolstering. Just a little. Please?
  • Lack of sun visors. I mean, fer reelz BMW?
  • Lack of a fully-implemented Radio Data System (RDS tags). I don't know exactly how this system works, but compared to other vehicles I use, the i3 is missing some features. And also not making full use of the display screen. But who listens to FM radio anymore, anyway?

But don't get me wrong, I really dig this car. Every car has its shortcomings, and the "major" ones (roof rack, tires) I knew about going in, and decided I could make do.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

Fisher99

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Nate: Your i3 doesn't have sun visors??? My 2014 does.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

i3Alan

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 am

I agree that the sun visors are terrible and inexcusable. Ditto the pathetic horn, for it's low volume, cheap sound, and horrible delay that virtually prevents any horn taps. The climate control with 2 degree settings and fan setting dependency for comfort is pretty poor, but that is hardly the worst thing about the AC.

BMW doesn't seem to mind prioritizing a nice design look of an all glass tailgate over having a rather fragile tailgate that is horribly expensive to repair. But I think the worst inexcusable potential repair threat is an AC compressor that can self destruct and take out both heat pumps with it causing over $20K in damages, for which BMW will not take responsibility. It's stuff like this that makes me think BMW actually competes against Mercedes to make cars that are too much of an unaffordable repair risk to own past the warranty.

gt1

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 pm

My main complaint about i3 is no option for a heated steering wheel- this is unheard of in mainstream EVs. Also no power seats (not buying the "saving weight" excuse) and the base radio without the rear speakers- even cheapest cars have them.

Obioban

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 pm

gt1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 pm
My main complaint about i3 is no option for a heated steering wheel- this is unheard of in mainstream EVs. Also no power seats (not buying the "saving weight" excuse) and the base radio without the rear speakers- even cheapest cars have them.
Meanwhile I retrofitted manual seats in my M3 :lol:

gt1

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 pm

Obioban wrote:
To save weight?

Deutsch100

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:42 am

I found the A/C in my 2019 i3S to be outstanding and the heat and heated seats were near instant.

My dislikes:

-No power seats! For almost $60k, this is unacceptable.
-Dash and Door material! I know how environmental the material is, but I had to explain it to everyone who saw it. Looks cheap and unfinished.
-Sun visors are not great, but not that bad either.
-Rattles, squeaks and thumps over uneven rode was the worst I have had in a car in over 25 years!
-Upon startup, the menu on the main Infotainment screen was random. Not a big deal, but annoying. Sometimes it was my presets for radio and sometimes a main menu screen or something else. I have had several BMWs do this though.
2020 i3S Rex; Capparis White

Obioban

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 pm

gt1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 pm
Obioban wrote:
To save weight?
Yep.

eNate

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:29 pm

i3Alan wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 am

BMW doesn't seem to mind prioritizing a nice design look of an all glass tailgate over having a rather fragile tailgate that is horribly expensive to repair.

I suppose my counter to this can apply to a bunch of items in this list, but here goes.

How many other cars do you know that have a glass tailgate as an aesthetic element? Or put another way, you could have chosen any other car and you'd have a non-glass tailgate.

I figure, we've got a slab of glass on the rear of just about every car on the road -- what's the harm in adding a second? I can't be down on it; I like the look.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”