Fisher99

Re: Things I Dislike About My i3

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Cool! Thanks for sharing that link. I kind of like the clean look of the cardboard better than the faucet cover. I think you could mitigate the "soaked cardboard" issue by spraying it with an oil based paint. Or maybe even using the spray waterproofing product that is available for coats, pants, etc. But the faucet cover does provide more coverage for the plug and release button, so maybe that's better in the long run.

I now know what my weekend project is going to be...
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

vreihen

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 am

If you're thinking the cardboard route, I'd use Coroplast:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast-2 ... /202090128

There should be an ample supply of scrap Coroplast on the side of the road in most areas following every political primary or election..... ;)
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

3pete

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:40 pm

joni3s wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 am
3pete wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm
-No heated steering wheel.
-Lack of car's ability to show present charge rate (currently annoying mostly because it could even be added with a software update)
-Charge cable lock behavior; should mimic Tesla or LEAF's behavior
* whats the charge cable lock behavior? latest idrive allows for unlock at 100% or keep locked regardless.
I want the ability to set Unlock/Lock/Auto. If I'm just topping off in a public place it'd be nice to let someone who actually needs the electricity unplug my car without me having to leave the doors unlocked too.

I have a 2014 which (as far as I know) doesn't even have the option to change a setting to "stay locked" after it's done charging.

The LEAF has the Unlock, Lock, Auto functionality that I think should be an industry standard https://youtu.be/KQPHJMPChv8?t=50. I believe Tesla allows the car to remember different desired behaviors based on the location of the car which I guess is nice but sortof overkill too.

Fisher99

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:05 pm

vreihen wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 am
If you're thinking the cardboard route, I'd use Coroplast:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast-2 ... /202090128

There should be an ample supply of scrap Coroplast on the side of the road in most areas following every political primary or election..... ;)
I bought the plastic faucet cover because I realized that the release button on my TurboCord would be sitting out in the rain if I went with the cardboard option. Turns out that the TurboCord handle is much longer than the one on the cord in the link you sent, so I had to completely cut out the back of the cover (the part where he installed a cabinet knob/handle). It seems to work, but doesn't sit quite as nicely as the one in the picture. And I'm going to have to figure out a way to secure it from wind, since with the back fully cut out, the cover hangs down on both sides of the cord handle so a rubber band doesn't even contact with the handle. That's fairly minor though and should be easily solved but I ran out of time. I'll take another look at it this weekend. So, after putting the cover in place I'm a bit skeptical that it will be completely rain proof but I should know soon as we've got some rain predicted over the next couple of days. Worst case it should be much better than nothing though.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

jackobyte

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:27 am

Yes, had I known the car was made of glass I certainly would not have bought, I guess they decided to offset the carbon fibre. I had a minor touch with another car whilst backing and the whole thing shattered, barely if any mark on the other vehicle. What clown would make a car body of glass? Really dissapointed with BMW hardware and service. Took it in for a service and after trouble light started coming on, took it back and they charged me to diagnose and finally said no mea culpa. On pushing they admitted (not in writing) that there were so many signals over so many wires in the car that spurious trouble lights were coming on. Can you believe that? it might even be true but didn't want to do the fix as they would have to keep the car for a week while they traced it. Personally I think those mechanics dont have the electric nous. They said that often BMW is nice and pays for all the fixing but not in my case until it happens more often. You know at times like this and amongst all the other shortcoming of this heinkel 162 one is forced to utter: NO WONDER THEY LOST THE WAR. Never again will a BMW monstrosity darken my driveway. Steer Clear to avoid your worst fears come true.

MKH
Gold Member

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:25 am

had I known the car was made of glass I certainly would not have bought
Glass tailgate - repairs covered by the car insurance policy, same as a steel tailgate would be.
On pushing they admitted (not in writing) that there were so many signals over so many wires in the car that spurious trouble lights were coming on. Can you believe that? it might even be true but didn't want to do the fix as they would have to keep the car for a week while they traced it. Personally I think those mechanics dont have the electric nous.
I'd agree - they don't have an EV trained mechanic or a shop that cares - find another Dealership. Troubleshooting the error codes in the i3 is pretty much a no brainer, they hook the car up to the BMW diagnostic computer, and it spits out a test plan for the tech to follow, to determine the fault.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

alohart

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 pm

jackobyte wrote:
Yes, had I known the car was made of glass I certainly would not have bought, I guess they decided to offset the carbon fibre.
The hatch is the only body panel that is glass. All other body panels are thermoplastic which is lighter than steel or aluminum, doesn't corrode, and doesn't dent. However, it would crack when hit hard enough to seriously dent a metal panel.
jackobyte wrote:
I had a minor touch with another car whilst backing and the whole thing shattered, barely if any mark on the other vehicle. What clown would make a car body of glass?
I suppose the poor choice of a glass hatch panel was made for purely cosmetic reasons to create a seamless surface over the taillights. Glass is considerably heavier than thermoplastic. Tempered glass doesn't break as easily as non-tempered glass, but when impacted, particularly by a sharp point, shatters into many small but not dangerously sharp pieces. All window glass except the windshield is tempered glass. At the very least, BMW should have made the glass panel a replaceable part.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Fisher99

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Thought of one more thing to add to my short list. I wish BMW would let you initiate pre-conditioning of the battery whenever you want. Currently you have to set it for a minimum of 3 hours before you want to leave. Since I don't have a routine daily schedule this is a bit problematic for me. Wish I could use the remote app to start battery pre-conditioning whenever I want, just like I can currently initiate the "Climatize" function. That way I could at least partially pre-condition the battery, say, an hour (or even 30 minutes) prior to leaving the house. Every little bit should help with "cold weather range degradation" in the colder temps.

I guess I can technically do that, as I think about it more. For example, I could use the app to set a departure time 3 hours from the current time and if I leave an hour later, at least I will have gotten an hour's worth of pre-conditioning. Not as straightforward as a button selection in the app for this purpose, but should work.

jadnashuanh

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:36 pm

The battery heater is a 1Kw device...the battery pack weighs a fair amount. 3-hours is likely needed when it's cold out. If it's much warmer, it may not make much difference whether you used it or not.

Depending on the ambient temperature, the car might determine that it doesn't need to start warming the batteries until maybe the last hour or so, so you may get nothing if you leave early.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

Fisher99

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:58 am

jadnashuanh wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:36 pm
The battery heater is a 1Kw device...the battery pack weighs a fair amount. 3-hours is likely needed when it's cold out. If it's much warmer, it may not make much difference whether you used it or not.

Depending on the ambient temperature, the car might determine that it doesn't need to start warming the batteries until maybe the last hour or so, so you may get nothing if you leave early.
I hate it when my car outsmarts me when I'm trying to outsmart it...

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”