Mauijohn

Re: Things I Dislike About My i3

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 am

eNate wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:46 pm
Hmmm...

• Lack of roof rack hardpoints. Sucks I'm stuck sticking suction cups to my roof.
  • Lack of volume un-mute I've complained about previously. If I'm muted, and I select an audio source, unmute my dang audio!
  • Lack of seat bolstering. Just a little. Please?
  • Lack of sun visors. I mean, fer reelz BMW?
  • Lack of a fully-implemented Radio Data System (RDS tags). I don't know exactly how this system works, but compared to other vehicles I use, the i3 is missing some features. And also not making full use of the display screen. But who listens to FM radio anymore, anyway?

But don't get me wrong, I really dig this car. Every car has its shortcomings, and the "major" ones (roof rack, tires) I knew about going in, and decided I could make do.
YAKIMA - EasyTop, Instant Roof Rack
This has been a solution for a roof rack for our 2018 I3. I bought a new Z4 . Needed a roof rack for surf board. This works! To bad I cant post pics! John

eNate

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Mauijohn wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 am
eNate wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:46 pm
  • Lack of roof rack hardpoints. Sucks I'm stuck sticking suction cups to my roof.

YAKIMA - EasyTop, Instant Roof Rack
This has been a solution for a roof rack for our 2018 I3. I bought a new Z4 . Needed a roof rack for surf board. This works!

The EasyTop unfortunately doesn't add hardpoints, but the straps do render the side curtain airbags useless, and I'm concerned about their comparability with frameless doors. Also doesn't work for bikes, which is what I primarily put on the roof rack.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

i3Alan

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:46 pm

I don't believe anyone has mentioned disliking the AC compressor failure that leads to repair quotes over $20,000 (just under $23K for mine). At least we can love BMW for their goodwill gesture of helping with this situation for an i3 one year out of warranty, as that $2000 was so generous. :oops:

Note that these AC catastrophic failures seem to be virtually non-existent for any i3 less than 5 years old, as the half dozen or so incidents I have heard of have all be 2014 and 2015 models. So, perhaps I should rephrase my thing I dislike about the i3 to needing to sell it before it is 5 years old to avoid one of the most preposterous Sword of Damocles one is ever likely to encounter in owning a car (perhaps excluding considerations of owning a Mercedes!).

Fisher99

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:51 pm

i3Alan wrote:
I don't believe anyone has mentioned disliking the AC compressor failure that leads to repair quotes over $20,000 (just under $23K for mine). At least we can love BMW for their goodwill gesture of helping with this situation for an i3 one year out of warranty, as that $2000 was so generous. :oops:

Note that these AC catastrophic failures seem to be virtually non-existent for any i3 less than 5 years old, as the half dozen or so incidents I have heard of have all be 2014 and 2015 models. So, perhaps I should rephrase my thing I dislike about the i3 to needing to sell it before it is 5 years old to avoid one of the most preposterous Sword of Damocles one is ever likely to encounter in owning a car (perhaps excluding considerations of owning a Mercedes!).
What??? $20k+ for an AC compressor??? How can that be?
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

eNate

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 pm

i3Alan wrote:

I don't believe anyone has mentioned disliking the AC compressor failure ...

Alan, some guy beat you to it, post #4 on the first page.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16619#p62806
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

frictioncircle

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:35 am

Great topic! Seeing as BMW is actively developing the next generation i3 (I02?) I'm looking forward to seeing some of these ideas in the new model! :lol:

100% on the heated steering wheel – yes, please.

Sun visors – they need to extend lower and should have pull-out tabs for more horizontal coverage.

Three suggestions I've not seen mentioned:

– The car knows day and date from the Settings menu. Please allow the driver to display this at all times on the iDrive display: Tue Mar 10 01:33

– Traversing a long audio file (e.g. 30+ minute podcast) is horrendous... please add a scrubbing mode. Suggestion: hold down the < and > keys together and the volume knob becomes a scroll wheel to shuttle through the file.

– The driver's display has a fixed trip odometer in the upper right. With the limited range that I get in my 2014 I'll count my trip distance with one of these, thank you very much – how about a full-time odometer or SOC?

shane

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 am

Ok ....if there is a solution to this niggling dislike let me know. I want the front ultrasonic sensors to help me park every time i go below 5kph or so. Currently i have just finished parking when they come on to tell me i am 2 inches away from the thing on front of me.

Is there a way to have the pseudo radar screen come on with a preset or with speed?

Shane

Fisher99

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:49 pm

shane wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 am
Ok ....if there is a solution to this niggling dislike let me know. I want the front ultrasonic sensors to help me park every time i go below 5kph or so. Currently i have just finished parking when they come on to tell me i am 2 inches away from the thing on front of me.

Is there a way to have the pseudo radar screen come on with a preset or with speed?

Shane
I haven't tried this on my i3, but on my wife's 535i, you can press the "P" button on the console and it turns on the camera and sensors. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work that way on the i3 too. Will give it a try later when I'm back home.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

i3Alan

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:49 pm

[/quote]Alan, some guy beat you to it, post #4 on the first page.[/quote]

Opps! That was my post! I did look to see if I, or anyone else posted on this (forgetting that I already had) and did not notice that. Sorry. And, thanks!

Valleeboi02

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm

But why bother to even buy the i3 if the dash looks cheap?

Why bother to buy if there are no rear door audio speakers?

Why bother to buy if there are no power seats?

Why bother to buy if there is no AutoPilot?

Why why why?? It makes no sense to buy a car you know does not have the features you want but yet complain that the features are not there..

My i3 has a leather and wood dash..
My doors are leather and wool and plastic.
My i3 has rear door speakers.
My i3 has ACC and TJA autonomous driving.

I was fully aware before buying my i3 that it is a cheap economy box made with sub par materials and build quality and lacked many features that other EVs have. The i3 is far from a posh performance car..

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”