eNate

Re: Carrying Cargo 'n Things in Our i3's...

Thu May 14, 2020 4:25 pm

This is one of those backyard ice tubs for cold drinks. I think they're all similar size. I actually used this as a dog washing tub, but our house has been sans pets for a while so time for it to go.

It fits in the i3 trunk comfortably by clicking the back seat into the upright detent. I tried putting the seat back to the normal position, but found that the lip of the tub rubbed the top of the saet back, and I didn't want a hole in the leather.

2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

eNate

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:59 am

i3 = 13 ft. 1 in.
pipe = 15 ft.
Seasucker Monkeybar roof rack FTW!

eNate

Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:31 pm

I found a handful of breeze blocks on Craigslist that I've been looking for to dress up a french drain. These are each about a foot square and just over 17 lbs apiece, or about 140 lbs. The 3x2 grid fit nicely with a little margin. Not exactly a taxing load, but there's been talk in other threads about the weight carrying capacity of the cargo floor, and particularly in my case with the molded fiberglass Wokeby trunk extension underneath. All unscathed, minus some concrete crumbs that needed vacuuming.

JohnKelly

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:18 pm

I hope you strapped those bricks down. They might kill you even in a small accident!
2015 REX / Participating on plugshare w/level 2 Clipper Creek 32 amp, Moclips, Washington coast

eNate

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 am

This isn't exactly a "win" -- 10 feet is just a little long for pipe to fit corner to corner.

I used a loop of nylon strap to engage the hatch latch, and ran it to the right-rear cargo tie down loop. I need to carry a D-ring or a small brass thing to make a good connection with the hatch latch -- the nylon web wants to worm its way out if it's pulled straight down.

eNate

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:34 pm

This morning saw a quick trip to pick up five sheets of quarter-inch drywall and a couple of 2x4s. The 2x4s are great for bridging the gap between the crossbars. A third one up the middle would be ideal.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the 48" crossbars are a few inches too short for tying down sheet martial -- particularly when I've got a cinch strap wrapping around the top and bottom edges of relatively delicate drywall. I've got to figure out an extension of some sort that will stick out just far enough to allow me to wrap a strap around it.

Fisher99

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:44 pm

I'm waiting for the "mod" where Nate gives in and decides to chop his i3 and turn it into a pickup... :P
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

eNate

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:29 pm

Ya know, Simone lives right across the bay from me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKv_N0IDS2A

Actually, I have a cargo bike I use as a pickup truck and I'm in the process of electrifying it! :) Capacitywise, it gives the i3 a run for the money.

derekgates

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:19 pm

These posts are awesome and hilarious. Love it!

eNate

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Today's load involved 90 miles of driving to pick up eBay and Craigslist purchases -- a drywall hoist and a 40A charger. The Clipper Creek EVSE is larger than I expected; I hope it fits in the alcove I intend to put it in. I'm pretty sure I measured everything out months ago. We'll see. The drywall hoist is a whole lot more compact than I expected. I hope I don't get home and find something is missing -- but at a casual glance, it all appears to be here.

Best of all, after completing my route of nearly all freeway driving , some 90° temps, and 2x over the Altamont Pass, I pulled in to work with 37 miles of range indicated. That's a good feeling with almost 36,000 miles on this car.

So now, the real questions: Am I really going to drywall the entire house myself? More importantly, Am I really going to use this Level 2 charger enough times to get my money's worth?

p.s. my folding rooftop crossbars are both stashed on the floor behind the front passenger seat!

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”