About to buy 2015 Rex from smaller dealer (warranties?)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

747lexus

So I think I really want to purchase this 2015 i3 Rex from this smaller dealer locally. Seems like a pretty good price, $17,500 (probably plus tax and doc fees etc another $3000?)

But it has the color Colombo I like (white exterior and two tone tan and eucalyptus wood interior) and it seems like it has the parking assist feature back up camera

It’s low miles too at less than 30k. Have to check the actual battery level on the secret menu.

But I’m concerned about reliability and any warranty options? Since this is not from BMW and I think it is past the factory warranty now? Would you guys recommend getting an extended warranty on said car like these or not necessary?

Thanks so much

747lexus said:
So I think I really want to purchase this 2015 i3 Rex from this smaller dealer locally. Seems like a pretty good price, $17,500 (probably plus tax and doc fees etc another $3000?)

But it has the color Colombo I like (white exterior and two tone tan and eucalyptus wood interior) and it seems like it has the parking assist feature back up camera

It’s low miles too at less than 30k. Have to check the actual battery level on the secret menu.

But I’m concerned about reliability and any warranty options? Since this is not from BMW and I think it is past the factory warranty now? Would you guys recommend getting an extended warranty on said car like these or not necessary?

Thanks so much

If it's got tech pkg, with less than 30k on the clock, you're at a good price point. Though I'd prob haggle for a round 17k. Depends if it's a hot seller in your area. In SoCal I'd want to be in the 15-16k range for a '15 rex. But there's way more inventory here too.

I'd be more comfy getting an extended coverage through a reputable carrier, esp if you plan to use the Rex frequently.

if it was me, I'd do this https://www.valenciabmw.com/certified/BMW/2017-BMW-i3+with+Range+Extender-8fb9c3a10a0d0cc71a38a4b4e2e5d5ae.htm
and get warranty through them. There's probably another 500 wiggle room in that price. but you get the bigger pack and better resale value down the road.
Good luck, hope you grab one!

Thank you! That sounds like a good deal too... too bad they are not local to go and check it out in person (not too far though)? Didn’t quite see but did that one come with a bmw warranty still?

So that one you recommended essentially it looks like the similar car to this one that I saw but just with the longer battery range? Looks like $2000 more which isn’t that bad, so might be worth while inquiring. When you purchased your i3 was it at a local dealership or did you have to travel out of state? It’s more of a hassle to obviously but just seeing the majority if they purchased it locally or out of state if it makes any big of a difference

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=539166692&zip=89118&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=BMWI3&dealerId=69700527

Thanks so much

electronchaser said:
I'd be more comfy getting an extended coverage through a reputable carrier, esp if you plan to use the Rex frequently.
Are you indirectly saying the REX engine is unreliable? Which warranty company do you think would cover the potential i3 catastrophic failures? Meaning the motor mounts, battery, or A/C? Seems like a BMW actual warranty would be the best bet as 3rd party warranties can go out of business.

Seems like a BMW actual warranty would be the best bet

In my opinion, the only bet.

There are few companies that are set up to cover EVs. Most universal (ICE) policies have fine print that excludes EV components, like the electric motor and 'anything connected to it'. 3rd party companies are also notorious for not covering expensive repairs. The way it works, is you pay your premium, say $3,500. Then you have a mechanical issue. You take it in to the shop and they say the repair is $1,500 - no problem, it gets paid, and the repair done. However, if the shop says the repair is $4,500 (which is more than your premium), the company will send out an inspector to validate the repair, and more often than not the inspector finds a 'fine-print' exclusion, and denies payment for the repair. For example, buddy had full bumper to bumper coverage, and had his transmission catastrophically fail. Shop determined that it was because of a defectively cast part. Inspector came out, and despite the shop showing him exactly what caused the transmission to tear itself to scrap, the inspector denied the repairs, because one of the transmission seals 'showed signs of leaking' (not surprising since the transmission basically shredded itself), and fine print in the policy stated that leaking seals 'and any related components' were not covered. Basically they denied coverage because the repair would cost more than what the guy paid for the policy.

There is a new 3rd party company writing EV coverage for mainly Tesla's now, but their parent company is an existing company writing ICE policies, and does not have a great reputation if you review all the BBB claims against them.

That said - be aware that the BMW coverage (and any third-party coverage) will not pay out more than the NADA wholesale value of the car at the time of the repair claim.

Back