I Really Like My 2017 i3 BEV, BUT...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
Prefacing this post by saying I still **really like** my i3 and am not experiencing any remorse or anxiety. I just dropped it off at the dealership service department and the work order is nearly two pages of squawks. I have definitely never had a car with this many problems pop up, and I'm not even 5 months in (28,000 miles). Let's hope the crack team of BMW-certified mechanics can adequately address everything. They seem to sell a good volume of new and used i3s at this location, so hopefully they're up to speed on my particular issues.

Here's the summary of my work order:

A) "Drivetrain Malfunction" -- yesterday 2nd start and the car would not let me drive it, said "contact service." An hour later it started up and drove like normal, and no problems today.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16661

B) "Wouldn't Engage Park" -- I documented 6 occurrences of this over 3 days, had to bypass the charging port cover lock, and manually key-lock the doors. I gave the Park Module attached to the gearbox a good whack, and it hasn't acted up since.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16632

C) "Lack of Power Steering" -- cited one instance of it feeling like I had no power steering at the start of the drive. This was back in September shortly after purchase, and it hasn't recurred since.

D) "No Cabin Heat" -- on three days (two were late at night, a month apart, actually), the car only blew cold air. I tried stopping and restarting, no change. Next drive, the heat was back. It's been about three weeks since the last time this happened.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2305&hilit=blowing+cold&start=10#p62163

E) "Windshield Wiper Thumping" -- at slow speeds, not every time but with regularity, the windshield wipers make a very loud thumping sound when they activate intermittently. I noticed the end of the long blade dips below the windshield glass, but don't know if this is the problem.

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16615

F) "Driver Side Mirror Slow to Defrost" -- is what it says, vs. the passenger side mirror. Just want it checked.

G) "Clicking 'Online Search' from Touchpad Creates a Period" -- This complaint is petty, but it's annoying, and since I've got their attention...

https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16475

This list of complaints is loosely ranked in order of severity. The drivetrain malfunction is the big question. I suspect they'll replace my Park module, give me a software update for the power steering and touchpad, not sure what to expect for the cabin heat, they'll tell me my mirror is heating up within spec, and they'll want to replace my wiper blades for the thumping. But let's see what tomorrow's phone call brings!

What's funny is I brought it in without an appointment, and the outside greeter (not the service writer) was really trying to push me schedule a date and bring it back later. I finally said, "Look, I was about to put it on a tow truck and drop if off yesterday because it wouldn't start" and he finally relented. I've been putting this service visit off long enough (procrast-enate-ing : :roll: ) because I was too constrained by their website's "what's wrong with your car" drop-down menu selection and Post-It Note sized "additional information" text box.

That's pretty annoying on a 2017. I have to admit that with the CPO warranty on my new-to-me (purchased last June) 2014 i3/REX ending in a couple of weeks, I have some trepidation as to what the future might bring. Of course the flip side is that I know the person who has owned it for the last 3-4 years and aside from some initial issues he hasn't had any problems with it, so perhaps the bugs have all been worked out.

The only issue that has left me stranded was when the 12v battery died shortly after I purchased the car. Replacing the battery resolved the issue and all has been well since then. I did have some warranty work done last month, just to get some stuff taken care of before the warranty ran out. Replaced a foggy backup camera, replaced a sticky fuel filter door actuator, replaced a dead windshield washer pump. Fairly normal stuff.

However, heading out from here on does have me somewhat nervous.

I picked up my i3 from Service and quietly LOLed.

Of the seven problems I listed, the Wouldn't Engage Park got the most attention:

• charge battery
  • preform diagnostics test
  • update software "program EME to latest integration level"
  • remove / install actuator for parking lock

"AFTER PROGRAMMING AND A ROAD TEST, THE PARK LOCK FAILED AND THE CAR WAS STUCK IN PLACE. CONNECT REMOTE LAPTOP AND PERFORM A VEHICLE TEST. PERFORM TEST MODULES AND CLEAR FAULTS IN AN ATTEMPT TO MOVE THE VEHICLE. IMPOSSIBLE TO GET CAR OUT OF PARK LOCK. INSTALL DOLLIES AND TOW BACK INTO SERVICE." :shock: :roll: :lol: :cool:

^^^ YESS! This is the antithesis to the infamous "Dealer Could Not Duplicate The Problem" I should have let the tech in on my secret remedy: the tow hook whack!

"CONNECT ISID AND PERFORM A FURTHER TEST. OBTAIN DIAGCODE TO REPLACE PARK LOCK CONTROL UNIT AND EME. FILE TC CASE -- THEY SAY TO INSTALL THE PARK LOCK ACTUATOR FIRST AND THEN SEE WHAT HAPPENS. REPLACE PARK LOCK ACTUATOR AND PERFORM SERVICE FUNCTION TO INSTALL AND THEN TEACH IN THE NEW ACTUATOR."

A) Drivetrain Malfunction: Test, Noted Multiple Faults, Software Update
C) Power Steering: Software Update
D) No Cabin Heat: Software Update
E) Wipers Thumping: Recommend Replacing Wiper Blades
F) Mirror Heat: Not Failed / Unable to Warranty
G) Online Search / Period: Software Update

Sooo... The power steering complaint was a one-off occurrence and I know there was a software update for this in September 2019, so hopefully that's actually been addressed.

The lack of cabin heat was sporadic so I'll have to wait and see. The windshield wiper blades are performing fine and look healthy; I'm not going to install new ones this close to the end of the rainy season -- so try again in November. I'll monitor my heated mirrors with a temperature gun. The "Period" continues to pop up when I enter a Text Entry field.

The big thing is I am suspecting my Unable to Shift to Park problem and Drivetrain Malfunction were one in the same. Just hard to know for sure since the tech never tied them together in the notes written on the work order. So, again, all I can do is drive it and see.

The biggest surprise? Maybe that they didn't call me to report my rear tire tread is down to the wear bars.

To be continued.

Boy, you lucked out with the "Park" situation. I usually end up on the "can't replicate so can't fix" side of that fence... Lots of software updates! Hopefully all will be better now.

Back