symonray

Re: Rex Junior and the tale of comfy winter driving without using the heater.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 pm

After trying many different approaches for trying to stay warm while commuting during really cold days without using the climate control, the best approach I have found (at least for me) is using the seat heater and a small Honeywell 250 watt ceramic heater plugged into a portable rechargeable AC/DC battery pack commonly used for camping. The battery pack, which weighs about 4 lbs, has enough charge to power the portable heater for the duration of my commute (about an hour), and the little heater warms the cabin quite nicely. If I need the heater on my evening commute, I recharge the battery pack at my office.
Timothy Simonds
2017 BMW i3 Rex

JohnKelly

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks for the information, Art and Timothy!
2015 REX / Participating on plugshare w/level 2 Clipper Creek 32 amp, Moclips, Washington coast

frictioncircle

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:11 am

JohnKelly –

You've gone far above what most would do to extend range. A tip of the hat to you for the extremes you went to save kWhs!

From your posts here I'm inferring that you're ok with forgoing normal creature comforts.

For your next journey, may I suggest a browse of 12V heated clothing designed for motorcycle riders? This is not my area of expertise, but wanted to share the concept in case this is not on your radar...

(one source among many):
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/12v-mot ... thing.html

Stay warm!

JohnKelly

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:38 am

Hey, thanks for the comment, but I was perfectly comfortable. That's the point. I did not sacrifice my comfort, I just extended my range. I would look into the heated motorcycle clothing if it were a better option for me, but it isn't since only my ankles get cold. Might be a good idea for those who don't have heated seats though. But, as I mentioned, I did not even need to use the seat heat, I was so comfortable.
2015 REX / Participating on plugshare w/level 2 Clipper Creek 32 amp, Moclips, Washington coast

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”