A level 2 charger for two cars at once?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17R3W

Hey all,

My girlfriend has a chevy volt and I have an i3, and right now we are making do with level 1 charging but would like to upgrade to level 2.

Is there a charger that would charge one car and then flip over and charge the other?

Clipper creek makes a charger that can either charge one car at full speed (approx 7.2 KWh) or 2 at half speed (about 3.3 KWh) , which is pretty close to what we want. But are there any other options out there?

We would prefer to buy from chargepoint, if they make such a thing.

ChargePoint does make a dual charger. I have used one in a town we go to sometimes. It shares the power just like you mentioned. I imagine it would be more expensive than the Clipper Creek. They are made to be networked, therefore more complicated.

This is not difficult to do, Im designing my own charger to do just this and more. We have an i3 (94ah) and an Outlander PHEV. My charger enables me to plug both cars in and either prioritise i.e. i3 first, Outlander 2nd, split 70% / 30% (any number you like) and I can also state the maximum current taken from my AC supply. All of the cars have onboard charger, our wall 'chargers' are in fact only a communication device that talks to the car chargers and set the current they can take. The most expensive part are the sockets to plug into, the rest of the box is two contactors a display and a couple of switches driven by a Raspberry Pi computer ($25).

If you want to make your own I'll provide some instructions and parts list later when Ive finished, the prototype has been in operation for a couple of weeks now.

Back