fluidity

frunk mobility tray - what goes in it?

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:35 pm

I am trying to solve a mystery. The mobility tray obviously holds the mobility kit (air compressor and tank) and in my car, there is a tow hook, and a spot for the locking lugnut key. But there is one more hole that I can't figure out. Does anyone know what goes in the smaller round hole?

Here is a diagram - I am talking about the smaller round hole near the lugnut key.

Images of the accessory storage organizer box (amazon link below) show something in that hole but cannot find a diagram anywhere that acknowledges it. Thanks for the help. https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-S...df_B015S1Z06O/

MKH
Gold Member

Re: frunk mobility tray - what goes in it?

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:49 am

This picture that shows 'something' there - just not sure what???
Frunk box.jpg
Frunk box.jpg (177.68 KiB) Viewed 2316 times

Valve stem tool maybe??
T10.png
T10.png (52.58 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

robthebold

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:01 am

fluidity wrote:
Does anyone know what goes in the smaller round hole?
Fallen leaves, just like the rest of the space in the frunk.

Fisher99

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:39 pm

robthebold wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:01 am
fluidity wrote:
Does anyone know what goes in the smaller round hole?
Fallen leaves, just like the rest of the space in the frunk.
Amen to that!

frictioncircle

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 pm

That might be the spot for one of these:

BMWs tend to use lug bolts to attach a wheel to a hub instead of the more common lug-nuts-and-studs method. Mounting a wheel without having studs is not easy and BMW used to include in every on-board tool kit one of those above wheel alignment pins.

Seeing as BMW intends a driver to use the tire goo & compressor setup instead of swapping a spare (we don't even get a jack!), I imagine that's why they don't deliver the cars in the US with those pins.

Here's how they're used:
https://bimmertips.com/oem-bmw-wheel-al ... -tool-kit/

vreihen

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:31 am

I was thinking that it was either an emergency flashlight or screwdriver holder, or perhaps some piece of mandatory safety equipment in certain global markets that we don't get in North America (like the reflective triangle in the trunk or required first aid kits and safety vests).

I was also thinking that it may have been a receptacle provided to store a locking wheel lug bolt key if they were installed either at the factory or by the dealership.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

Fisher99

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am

frictioncircle wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 pm
That might be the spot for one of these:

BMWs tend to use lug bolts to attach a wheel to a hub instead of the more common lug-nuts-and-studs method. Mounting a wheel without having studs is not easy and BMW used to include in every on-board tool kit one of those above wheel alignment pins.

Seeing as BMW intends a driver to use the tire goo & compressor setup instead of swapping a spare (we don't even get a jack!), I imagine that's why they don't deliver the cars in the US with those pins.

Here's how they're used:
https://bimmertips.com/oem-bmw-wheel-al ... -tool-kit/
On my brand new 1971 BMW 2002, that tool was also used to twist the also included spark plug socket wrench. Boy, those were different days!.. :D

fluidity

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:48 am

So, I'm back with an update. It may not be what was in the earlier picture, but that mystery hole perfectly fits the BMW combination screwdriver (part # 71111179629) as suggested by vreihen. I had one already and now it lives in that spot. Also, in the course of searching pictures of the frunk storage tray I noticed that the safety triangle is meant to go in a slot on the bottom of the tray. These aren't included in US models but easy to find online. So, may I present to you, my completed storage tray setup!

MKH
Gold Member

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Well Done!! :D

Though in the Owner's Manual, it shows the warning triangle mounted to the inside of the back hatch.

tailgate wt.png
tailgate wt.png (483.3 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
Tail Gate Page.png
Tail Gate Page.png (148.46 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”