frunk mobility tray - what goes in it?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluidity

I am trying to solve a mystery. The mobility tray obviously holds the mobility kit (air compressor and tank) and in my car, there is a tow hook, and a spot for the locking lugnut key. But there is one more hole that I can't figure out. Does anyone know what goes in the smaller round hole?

Here is a diagram - I am talking about the smaller round hole near the lugnut key.
16eb43d0a8f645cbeb74607e97416d2b.png

Images of the accessory storage organizer box (amazon link below) show something in that hole but cannot find a diagram anywhere that acknowledges it. Thanks for the help. https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-S...df_B015S1Z06O/

That might be the spot for one of these:

s-l1600.jpg

BMWs tend to use lug bolts to attach a wheel to a hub instead of the more common lug-nuts-and-studs method. Mounting a wheel without having studs is not easy and BMW used to include in every on-board tool kit one of those above wheel alignment pins.

Seeing as BMW intends a driver to use the tire goo & compressor setup instead of swapping a spare (we don't even get a jack!), I imagine that's why they don't deliver the cars in the US with those pins.

Here's how they're used:
https://bimmertips.com/oem-bmw-wheel-aligning-pin-tool-kit/

I was thinking that it was either an emergency flashlight or screwdriver holder, or perhaps some piece of mandatory safety equipment in certain global markets that we don't get in North America (like the reflective triangle in the trunk or required first aid kits and safety vests).

I was also thinking that it may have been a receptacle provided to store a locking wheel lug bolt key if they were installed either at the factory or by the dealership.....

frictioncircle said:
That might be the spot for one of these:

s-l1600.jpg

BMWs tend to use lug bolts to attach a wheel to a hub instead of the more common lug-nuts-and-studs method. Mounting a wheel without having studs is not easy and BMW used to include in every on-board tool kit one of those above wheel alignment pins.

Seeing as BMW intends a driver to use the tire goo & compressor setup instead of swapping a spare (we don't even get a jack!), I imagine that's why they don't deliver the cars in the US with those pins.

Here's how they're used:
https://bimmertips.com/oem-bmw-wheel-aligning-pin-tool-kit/

On my brand new 1971 BMW 2002, that tool was also used to twist the also included spark plug socket wrench. Boy, those were different days!.. :D

So, I'm back with an update. It may not be what was in the earlier picture, but that mystery hole perfectly fits the BMW combination screwdriver (part # 71111179629) as suggested by vreihen. I had one already and now it lives in that spot. Also, in the course of searching pictures of the frunk storage tray I noticed that the safety triangle is meant to go in a slot on the bottom of the tray. These aren't included in US models but easy to find online. So, may I present to you, my completed storage tray setup!

t5rp5cF.jpg

Back