The snappy throttle years

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

747lexus

Which years were the ones w the most snappy throttle off the line? And I heard bmw recoded it so it would be slower off the line to stop breaking motor mounts?
Is there an aftermarket mount to use? Is it hard to change these said mounts?
We’re these years only 2014 or 2015 as well? I think 2016 and up it is slower from 0-30 right?

Obioban said:
It's slower from 0-5

Wasn't aware of that change. My understanding was the i3 would stop powerflow if the wheels were raised off the ground as it was attributed to breaking the motor mounts. That said, they might have reduced power from 0-5 to help with tire wear issues?

BMW did lower the regen maximum because they had too many new drivers that didn't understand it, and tried to drive it like a typical ICE, creating whiplash when it went into full regen (higher than available today). Personally, it took me about two stops to figure it out, and I liked it. In the process, they also added a slight delay and ramp up of the regen versus the original's immediate response.

When the issue with motor mounts was discovered, they dropped out acceleration when they detected one wheel or more having rapid acceleration relative to the other wheels...IOW, the drive wheels were slipping. OFten the result of hitting a bump or say going over a curb. The possible rapid acceleration of a wheel when it then hit the road surface again, could put a significant sharp impact into the drivetrain as it slowed back down. All of the vehicles, assuming the recall was done, have this now. Personally, I think the issue did not come up when testing in Germany since they tend to have pretty well maintained roads. Many other areas may not.

So, as far as I know, maximum acceleration has not been dialed back except for one of those (hopefully rare) situations when a wheel ends up spinning in air.

Note that the curve and response changes if you choose one of the ECO modes.

jadnashuanh said:
BMW did lower the regen maximum because they had too many new drivers that didn't understand it, and tried to drive it like a typical ICE, creating whiplash when it went into full regen (higher than available today). Personally, it took me about two stops to figure it out, and I liked it. In the process, they also added a slight delay and ramp up of the regen versus the original's immediate response.

When the issue with motor mounts was discovered, they dropped out acceleration when they detected one wheel or more having rapid acceleration relative to the other wheels...IOW, the drive wheels were slipping. OFten the result of hitting a bump or say going over a curb. The possible rapid acceleration of a wheel when it then hit the road surface again, could put a significant sharp impact into the drivetrain as it slowed back down. All of the vehicles, assuming the recall was done, have this now. Personally, I think the issue did not come up when testing in Germany since they tend to have pretty well maintained roads. Many other areas may not.

So, as far as I know, maximum acceleration has not been dialed back except for one of those (hopefully rare) situations when a wheel ends up spinning in air.

Note that the curve and response changes if you choose one of the ECO modes.
Nice explanation. Would be nice if BMW would allow us to dial in the regen.

panamamike said:
Would be nice if BMW would allow us to dial in the regen.
The regen power is finely controlled by the power pedal position as can be seen on the power gauge. Because of this, I don't miss having regen power settings like some other EV's.

The maximum regen power when the power pedal isn't being pressed at all is limited by the rectifier that converts the AC output of the motor in regen mode to DC input to charge the battery pack. I don't know whether this rectifier could output more power than it currently does or whether BMW has reduced the maximum regen power as some i3 drivers believe.

Our 2014 BEV was delivered new with July, 2014, system software. Its software has been updated 3 times with the current version being November, 2018. I have not been able to detect any reduction in regen power but definitely notice the added delay in the onset of regen after the power pedal is fully released or ACC suddenly shuts off. This delay gives me just enough time to press the power pedal when ACC shuts off so that a potentially dangerous sudden deceleration doesn't occur. I like the change.

alohart said:
panamamike said:
Would be nice if BMW would allow us to dial in the regen.
... I don't know whether this rectifier could output more power than it currently does or whether BMW has reduced the maximum regen power as some i3 drivers believe.
I think there was a change. I test drove a 2014 Rex and the 2015 Rex back to back. The 2014 Regen was a lot more pronounced than the 2015. After reading about the change in regen on the boards, I figured that must of been the reason.

As are many things BMW, there are parameters that can be tweaked. Someone, long time ago, said that the regen factor went from 27 to 24. Where that parameter is, I have no idea. My guess is that it is locked, and not adjustable without higher levels of permission than what's available with something like the 'coding' software available - IOW, it may be a hardcoded value rather than a user accessible parameter. It acts like a maximum or peak value.

Having an early (April 2014) US built vehicle, after a software update, it was readily apparent that they'd changed it. Depending on when you bought yours, you may never have experienced the original delivered regen maximum. Some noted that where regen could stop their vehicle on a hill prior to the change, they were required to use the brake to fully stop after it.

I'd really like a tune to deliver full power from a stop (like launch cars), full regen, i3s horsepower (same motor, same battery... so it's just a tune limit), and i3s top speed.

... one day...

Back