Confused: Steady Blue (I'm an) Idiot Light...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
Dang,

Left work and went to disconnect my car, except that when I pressed the button on the charging handle, the light stayed blue!

I wiggled and tapped it. I looked through my iDrive menu to see if I could remotely stop charging. I pulled the manual release. I even rearranged my departure times and tried setting up a tariff time slot to cause it to stop charging, but that didn't seem to work -- the blue light stayed blue.

I recall the screen saying it wouldn't complete charging for another two hours. I wasn't going to wait.

After a few minutes of messing around I decided it would be less damaging (or at least less expensive to fix) to disconnect the EVSE electrical plug from the extension cord than to yank the charging handle out of the car.

No arcing. Huh.

Wasn't until I stowed everything away and was back in the car that I figured out it was probably already set to "tariff slot" charging mode, something that I've never actually used, and I must have unintentionally activated it. Except that the car was mostly charged, and all of that charging occurred inside of the 3 PM to 11 PM peak period I set up. Maybe I was in the app and adjusted my departure settings earlier in the evening, and neglected to uncheck the "Tariff" time slot" option. I dunno...

The difference visually is that the "waiting to charge" blue light is steady, vs. the "charging" blue light, which pulses. The steady blue doesn't lock the charging handle, and doesn't cause the charging indicator light to turn white when the button on the handle is pressed.

Anyhow, just thought I'd put that out there as an FYI.

Back