I’ve ordered it

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako999

Hi all
Well I’ve ordered my new i3s in red with black alloys, privacy glass, sun roof, sensors front and rear and to top it of Harmon Kardon sound system :D
Only problem is here in the UK I’ve been told it’s probably going to be around 4 to 5 months delivery.
I now need to look at my charge point. What length is the standard type 2 cable that comes with the car and can I buy a longer one to use with this car?
Thanks

Congratulations! I love my 2014 i3/REX and I'm sure you will love your new one as well.

Having said that, and not to sound like I'm dissing your choice of car, I am curious whether you consider a Tesla Model 3 as an alternative to the i3? Here in the USA you can get a Model 3 with double the i3's range for comparable (or perhaps even less) money. That's list price, of course. Some have said that significant discounts are available from BMW dealers on the i3. As much as I love my i3, I'm not certain I'd buy a new one vs a new Model 3 if the price was anywhere near being equal.

Hi and thanks I don’t think the build quality of the model 3 is brilliant, I do like the model S but this is going to be my first venture in to electric, plus my usual cars are either sports cars current one being a Lotus Elise of really funky cars like a Smart Fortwo. I think the i3 is a funky shape and still has a good acceleration. I looked at a range of cars and I have been waiting for a two seater electric sports car but unless I go Porsche at £140,000 there are none so I think this is the next best thing at this time, I’m a petrol head so it’s going to be hard.

Thanks

I also ordered a 2020 i3s, considered the Tesla 3, and owned a couple Lotus (Exige n/a and s240). Current daily driver is a 2017 i3.

The i3 is a unique car; small, relatively light, rear wheel drive, with a very nice interior, and excellent build quality. It's inexpensive to run, and still fun to drive, while being a nice place to spend an hour a day in traffic.

The Tesla 3 is none of the above. When taking my first jump into the BEV pool I leased the 2017 i3 thinking the Tesla 3 will have been out for a couple years at lease end and i'll trade for that. I looked at and drove a Tesla 3 and walked away disappointed. The Tesla is literally a ton heavier. You can feel that weight everywhere, moooo! You can't get a rear wheel drive version any more, only all wheel drive, more weight and necessary power for the road. The interior was plasticy and the overall build quality was poor. Can't even properly adjust the drivers side mirror. But hey, it has twice the range, thought that's not actually useful in the real world of daily driving and the world isn't yet ready to support off the freeway road-tripping in a BEV.

So, yeah, i3s it is. If I were looking for an ICE daily, a used Lotus Elise factory supercharged would be at the top of the list along with a used Evora S or new GT.

Nice to see another Lotus fan on the board. :twisted:

Jako999 said:
Hi and thanks I don’t think the build quality of the model 3 is brilliant, I do like the model S but this is going to be my first venture in to electric, plus my usual cars are either sports cars current one being a Lotus Elise of really funky cars like a Smart Fortwo. I think the i3 is a funky shape and still has a good acceleration. I looked at a range of cars and I have been waiting for a two seater electric sports car but unless I go Porsche at £140,000 there are none so I think this is the next best thing at this time, I’m a petrol head so it’s going to be hard.

Thanks

Great rationale! Thanks for sharing. I too embrace the funky shape, although my wife still thinks it's extremely ugly...

By the way, I spent a full track day driving a Lotus Exige on a 2.5 mile road course a while back. What a hoot!

pfanning said:
[snip]
The Tesla 3 is none of the above. When taking my first jump into the BEV pool I leased the 2017 i3 thinking the Tesla 3 will have been out for a couple years at lease end and i'll trade for that. I looked at and drove a Tesla 3 and walked away disappointed. The Tesla is literally a ton heavier. You can feel that weight everywhere, moooo! You can't get a rear wheel drive version any more, only all wheel drive, more weight and necessary power for the road. The interior was plasticy and the overall build quality was poor. Can't even properly adjust the drivers side mirror. But hey, it has twice the range, thought that's not actually useful in the real world of daily driving and the world isn't yet ready to support off the freeway road-tripping in a BEV.
[snip]

FWIW: On Tesla's ordering website it looks like you can still get a rear wheel drive Model 3 but only in standard range. Long range is dual motor AWD only.

I haven't driven a Model 3. I have only driven the Model S which, I understand, has a better build quality than the higher volume Model 3. The Model S was tight, quiet, and had excellent fit and finish. However, the guy I bought my i3 from sold it to purchase a new Model 3, dual motor, long range. He's a long time friend of mine so we keep in touch, and he's loving the Model 3. Says he's noticed a minor paint issue but no other quality or fit/finish issues. He's had 3 BMW's (including the i3) prior to this (still has an X5) and says he'll never go back. He's become a Tesla fanatic. In fact I am currently questioning his sanity because he has a deposit down on a Tesla CyberTruck, which is the ugliest thing I've ever seen...

In any case, I love my funky i3, and at the price I paid for it used, it was an absolute steal. But if I was buying new, and the i3 and the Tesla Model 3 were anywhere near the same price, I'd buy the Tesla. Of course neither car is an absolute right or wrong choice. Both are valid choice for the right reasons.

Jako999 said:
Hi all
Well I’ve ordered my new i3s in red with black alloys, privacy glass, sun roof, sensors front and rear and to top it of Harmon Kardon sound system :D
Only problem is here in the UK I’ve been told it’s probably going to be around 4 to 5 months delivery.
I now need to look at my charge point. What length is the standard type 2 cable that comes with the car and can I buy a longer one to use with this car?
Thanks

Did you buy or lease?

Strange you have been quoted 4-5 months for delivery. Ordered mine 4th Feb and told delivery will be 6th April.

Of course that still has to happen - and there are plenty of stories about manufacturers running low on key components right now due to the C-Virus!! Not advised of any delays yet though.

The 5 months is just a quote from the lease company. I decided to lease it because it’s a bit of a no brainer I work for the NHS and you can lease through them the monthly payment comes off your top line so you pay less tax and national insurance which basically means I get the car with metallic paint, sunroof, upgraded sound system, black alloys, privacy glass and front sensors plus 5 people fully comp insurance, servicing and tyres, 8000 miles a year, over 3 years.
All that for only £270 a month and no up front cost
:D :D :D

Jako999 –

Based on the smaller cars you mention (Smart & Lotus) I think you'll enjoy your new i3s!

I like small & light cars for their responsive acceleration and handling and knew within three turns of the wheel during my i3 test drive that this is one fun machine – and I bought one shortly thereafter. The car hits the sweet spot of low curb weight with good off-the-line performance.

Mine is a 2014 BEV and the big problem the car had was too much body roll. I lowered it which improved things quite a bit, but for a design that has a lot of mass (battery) low in the car, I think BMW should have worked a bit harder on the anti-sway bars.

I've not driven a Model 3 but I did drive a Model S P100D. It's a good vehicle for what it does (good range, comfortable for four, great luggage area) but it's wasteful for carrying just one commuter on a short, daily drive.

BMW did their homework well when they released the i3 – it's a superbly maneuverable, parkable, efficient city car that's enormous fun to chuck around corners. I'm thrilled that BMW has pledged to continue making the car but wish they'd have committed to a true update to the design instead of pushing the i4, a standardized platform with a non-CF structure.

Back