trumpetdoug

upgrade charging

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:33 am

I looking into putting in a 220v 40 amp service in my garage. Just checking to see if this is indeed what I need for a Level 2 charging system.

I have a 2017 i3 REX. and it does take nearly forever to charge with the regular supplied cord.

Also would any of you have recommendations on level 2 chargers to purchase. The BMW dealership I work with, wants around $1000.00 for theirs. I'm hoping I can find one less expensive than this?

And thoughts / advice are greatly appreciated.

Doug - out

MKH
Gold Member

Re: upgrade charging

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:11 am

I put in the EVoInnovate EVSE.
https://www.amazon.com/EVoCharge-EVoInn ... B07BKMX3NL

Made in the USA by a company that mainly builds commercial/public charging stations for office and apartment complexes, so figured it would be well-made, and it is UL listed/tested. Plain-Jane, no wi-fi or bells and whistles - but does what I wanted it to do - fast-charge the car. After a year of use, no issues at all. A 40 amp service will support a 32 amp rated charger. The EVolnnovate charger is adjustable up to 32 amps. Since my house is older, with only a 100 amp main panel, I have mine on a 24 amp circuit, and set for 20 amp charging.

I installed it myself following this as a guide for putting in the 220 outlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ro7Tc2nFI
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Neil

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:42 am

I would recommend a Clippercreek product (https://www.clippercreek.com). I've had the HCS-40 in my garage since 2014 and my i3 has over 70,000 miles, most of them charged in my garage. No issues at all with the EVSE. The unit I have definitely has no bells and whistles, it just charges my car when I need it to. In my locale, the public free charging stations all use Clippercreek units which are weatherproof. They may have newer products since I purchased mine that might be more appropriate to your situation. I have no affiliation with Clippercreek by the way. Good luck in your choice.

jadnashuanh

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 am

Lots of EVSEs out there. I ended up with a Clipper Creek unit about 5-years ago, and it's still working fine. The CC unit is also made in the USA.

You have lots of choices. While the i3 can handle a maximum of 7400W, which at 240vac is a bit under 31A, many people look for a 32A unit in case their input voltage is a bit lower (power = volts * amps and the EVSE announces how many amps it has...the volts are what they are). In my case, my normal voltage is about 247, and have a 30A unit, so I can max out the i3's internal power supply. NOte, the actual ACV-DCV conversion is done in the car...the EVSE is essentially a smart switch.

One other choice you have to make is whether you want to hard wire the unit, or get one with a plug. You might also consider a larger capacity unit for the next generation of EVs that can handle more power. There are some out there today, and more to come later. As battery packs get larger, new designs tend to consider higher current ACV and DCV (not your current issue!) inputs to minimize the recharging time.

I don't know if this is still an issue, but when I bought mine, some of the brands/models had trouble restarting charging if power was interrupted for some reason, so you could end up finding your battery was not fully charged. The CC unit does recover fine after a power outage. At the time, there were people complaining about theirs not restarting without removing the plug from the car and reinserting it. That's not a car issue, it's a potential EVSE issue, that may be rare today...don't know, but I'd ask the company.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

trumpetdoug

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm

So I have hired a electrician to install the 220 40 amp line. Cound anyone explain the pos. and neg. of a 32 amp charger vs a 40 amp?

Also, does anyone know what the electrical cost of using these different chargers would be?

Doug - out

vreihen

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Plan for the future...pull at least a 50A circuit while the cost is just heavier wire and not labor all over again. That will cover a 40A EVSE, which the i3 can't fully utilize but your next EV most likely will be able to take advantage of.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

Fisher99

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:42 pm

I had an unused 40 amp breaker in my garage but needed wiring extended to a different location in my garage. I had the electrician use wire rated for 50 amps for a bit of future-proofing. But my current EVSE (TurboCord) is only rated at 20 amps so he downgraded the 40 amp breaker to a 20 amp. When I asked why, he said that it was potentially dangerous to allow a 20 amp device to be connected to a 40 amp breaker. Makes sense to me. Especially since I can easily swap out the breaker if I ever upgrade to a higher amp EVSE.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

eNate

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 pm

vreihen wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:33 pm
Plan for the future...pull at least a 50A circuit while the cost is just heavier wire and not labor all over again. That will cover a 40A EVSE, which the i3 can't fully utilize but your next EV most likely will be able to take advantage of.....

Also future-proofing from the standpoint that you may have two EVs you'd want to charge simultaneously with a dual-cord EVSE.

ClipperCreek has a "Share2" system that gangs two of their 40A EVSEs together on one shared 50A circuit, and the units negotiate to split the load in order to charge both vehicles without overtaxing the circuit.

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/l ... mp-Level-2
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

abeln2672

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:17 pm

trumpetdoug wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm
So I have hired a electrician to install the 220 40 amp line. Cound anyone explain the pos. and neg. of a 32 amp charger vs a 40 amp?

Also, does anyone know what the electrical cost of using these different chargers would be?

Doug - out
Your 40-amp breaker won't be able to sustain a 40-amp charger. Code requires that any device in sustained use on a circuit draw no more than 80% of the max amps. So a 40-amp circuit is perfect for a 32-amp charging unit (which, conveniently, is what the BMW maxes out at anyway). I'm using a 32-amp Mustart that I bought on Amazon for $299 and it's been flawless. Great reviews, and they sell all amp variations.

As someone else said, it's probably a good idea to have the electrician install a 50-amp breaker on 6-gauge wire for future-proofing. Very cheap upgrade from 40-amp, 8-gauge and worth it if your next car can charge at a higher rate than the i3.

jadnashuanh

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:16 pm

You can put any sized EVSE in that your panel and budget can support but if yiu want to maximize charging your current i3 with 220vac (you sure it's 220 and not 240?), then 7400/220=33.67A, so a 32A device (40A circuit) would not max it out, but would be much faster than the 120vac device.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”