Horn Location, easy to change?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les2014

As many, I do not like the Horn tone and I will like to replace it, Does somebody know where is located? Is it easy to change?

Thanks in advance for your help. My I3 is a Rex 2014. Tera World.

There are some parts layout diagrams on several of the websites selling BMW parts...I'd start there.

Most any horn that ends up louder would probably draw more current. THat may or may not be an issue. Many of the circuits in modern BMWs, the switch is a low current device with a circuit board that tells the computer to turn on the thing...not like days of old where it was a real power switch, or to control a relay. The 12vdc battery on the i3 isn't huge, and they chose small current devices with their smaller wires to power them. Going bigger horn, may require more than just a simple straight replacement. Do not know for sure, but it's a possibility.

I just replaced the horn on my i3 with an old-VW beep beep horn (I was after an even more friendly sound). After sticking my head in and under with my son honking the horn in an effort to locate it, I removed the frunk bucket (six torx) and there it was in plain sight and fairly easy access under the easily removed coolant reservoir (REX) on the left side of the car. Some funky wiring and I was done.

Back