Tinting the i3's Sunroof Glass

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symonray

Hello.

Has anyone installed window tinting on the entire sunroof glass of an i3?

I am not sure if it is possible. If it is, I presume the sunroof setup in the i3 with the central pillar would make it difficult to do.

Thanks for the information.

I had my entire glass moonroof tinted with thermal/ceramic tint almost immediately when I took delivery of my 2019 i3S. It makes a huge difference! I also tinted the side and rear windows and it was the best decision ever!!!

The 3M crystalline tint has the highest UV and IR numbers at reasonable densities. Most of the others out there require a much deeper tint to come close. It's the only one that has the Cancer Institute's approval for UV protection, if that matter to you at all.

NH does not allow the windshield or front door windows to be tinted, which is sort of a pain.

Thanks for the information. I am planning to have all exterior glass tinted including the windshield and sunroof.

I had window tinting installed on my first i3 (2016 Rex)) with very good results, but that car did not have a sunroof.

I am noticing a lot of thermal energy coming through the sunroof glass of my new (to me) 2017 i3 Rex even with the interior sunshades closed.

I am hoping the sunroof window tinting will help reduce that as we move toward warmer weather.

Some are much better at reducing IR than others. You also have to decide how dark you want the film. FWIW, the 3M Crystalline tint has about 200 layers for a broad spectrum of reduction, and it doesn't have to be super dark to accomplish the fact. It's harder to install than some, and the shop must be certified by 3M to buy the stuff, so you may have to look a little harder to find a shop that can install it. Not saying others are bad...they each have their good points.

In my 2016 i3, I had Suntek CXP installed on all glass, and the film's heat dissipation/reflection properties were very noticeable inside the car on sunny days. I think I am going to go with CXP again.

Back