Question about tire choice

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symonray

Hello, I just read some older posts by i3 owners who installed 175/55r20 Ecopia 500 tires on the front 20x5 wheels and 195/50r20 tires on the rear 20x5.5 wheels with no spacers on any wheel. I wanted to know who has tried that combination without spacers and how well that worked out? Thanks for the information.

I am going to answer my own question. I recently installed 175/55r20 Ecopia 500 tires on the 430 front wheels and 195/50r20 tires on the 430 rear wheels of my 2017 i3 Rex with no spacers on any wheel. This is the standard tire set used for the current version of the BMW i3s Rex. The installation went smoothly, and there is sufficient clearance between the suspension parts and the wider tires all around. The ride now seems a little more stable, and I have not detected any appreciable loss in the vehicle's range. I am running the front tires at 38 lbs and the rear tires at 46 lbs to reduce rolling resistance.

So , you are using the i3 OEM tires on i3 . Correct ?

If not, can you please provide the links, as it looks like these are i3 OEM tier based on google search .

If original OEM tiers, why should be anything any different...I did not get it ....
Thx

The 195 size tires are standard on the rear wheels of the i3s Rex and the 175 size tires are standard on the front wheels of an i3s. So, I have installed the wider i3s tires on a i3.

ok,
Is the front tire of i3s (175) and back tire of i3 ( nont i3s) (175) the same ?
if yes, can we install the same tires on all wheels of i3. ( i do have the 19" wheels )

The staggered setup of wheels in i3 increase expensiveness , as we cannot do rotation.
This will make them rotatable .....

The standard tire setup for the BMW i3 Rex (non-S) is 155 tires on 5 inch wheels on the front and 175 tires on 5.5 inch wheels on the back. 5.5 inch wheels will NOT fit on the front without adding spacers.

EVMan said:
ok,
Is the front tire of i3s (175) and back tire of i3 ( nont i3s) (175) the same ?
if yes, can we install the same tires on all wheels of i3. ( i do have the 19" wheels )

The staggered setup of wheels in i3 increase expensiveness , as we cannot do rotation.
This will make them rotatable .....

I am not sure about tires, but the rear wheels of the REX are not compatible with the front axle. There have been multiple cases where the tire shop installed the rear wheels on front axle and there was damage due to rubbing. Therefore if you go with square setup you have to unmount the rear tires every time that you want to rotate a rear tire to front, which is not practical.

Back