Standard socket charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako999

I will be getting my i3s in September. This may seem like a strange question but we will be going away in our motorhome and taking the car with us, although the standard sockets in the motorhome are rated at 13amp some campsites only hookup at 10 amps so I have to plan which sites we are going to stop off at, does anyone know the amperage draw of the charger that plugs into a standard UK socket?
Thanks in advance

FWIW, the CAR is the load...the EVSE supplied is primarily a smart switch. On the US version, the car's software allows you to program the car to choose a less than full load. This is done so that if the socket is shared, you don't overload the circuit. The EVSE sends a signal to the car telling it how much it is designed to supply, and then the car decides how much of that to take based on its current charge state and the menu which could limit the rate. This COULD change by market where the car is sold.

I do not know what settings are programmed into the car sold in the UK, but if you go looking, it's in one of the menus. One of your compatriots should be able to tell you, or the dealer should be able to show you that menu in a car.

As for the EVSE , it might be shown on the details label as a maximum current Amps . But yes , your control over what the car is set at is how to manage the issue .

Back