What's Better: the i3 or Mini SE?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacemanwill

Has anyone driven the new Mini SE? Being a BMW, It shares many of the same components as the i3 including the 33 kWh battery pack and 181 hp motor from the i3s. Of course the Mini is not an intention-built EV, but nevertheless, benefits from all the tech and R&D that went into the i3. Surprisingly, it's a little faster than an i3 Rex according to this review: https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/04/22/video-which-is-faster-bmw-i3-or-mini-cooper-se/. But that could be simply because of the 12 hp advantage the Mini has, and lack of any software-imposed acceleration limits (which newer i3's apparently come with to protect the transmission).

The Mini is also front-wheel-drive which is a definite advantage in the snow. And I've heard i3's have major understeer in slippery conditions. However, after test driving two i3's, I love their tight handling, low center of gravity, and strong regen braking. How does the Mini SE compare? Where I live, the dealers are all sold out.

Back